Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1989 454 (7.4) no water

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 38 Santego (not an aft cabin)

Re: 1989 454 (7.4) no water

Postby CptBacardi » May 19th, 2021, 9:09 am

I found the engine serial numbers on the title:

0C391514
0C391749

According to the parts catalog, the oil cooler should be part number: 63831A3

However, when I find that part it looks short and stubby. The specs list the overall length as 7” and the canister length itself as 5”. The cooler on my engine is clearly longer than that. I found part number 63832A1, which looks exactly like it at 12” length and has the same 1.5” water connections and 1/2” NPT oil nuts. However the part is listed as a transmission cooler. Is it possible mine was swapped with 63832A1 somewhere during its life and it’s ok to replace with that part or should I figure out how to install the shorter 7” cooler the parts lookup found?

There is also part number 63832T the serial number lookup found for the transmission cooler. This appears roughly the correct dimensions, but why would a remote mounted v drive have a cooler mounted on the engine?
Last edited by CptBacardi on May 19th, 2021, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Carver 38 Santego

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 19th, 2021, 10:01 am

CptBacardi wrote:Source of the post Dang, I didn’t get the serial number while I was down there. As for the crack, it’s a large crack like the weld came loose at the end cap and created a gap about half the diameter of the hose itself, allowing a lot of water out. My wife was viewing the exhaust at the swim platform and noted “a little water comes out when I revved the engine, but not as much as the starboard side”. What is the heat exchanger? Where is the serial number on the engine located?

Good, the picture is making more sense now......so now to double check, follow the oil lines on your cooler and see where they go to make sure whether it is an engine oil cooler or a trans cooler.

Then Viper can check for the correct cooler.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CptBacardi » May 19th, 2021, 10:27 am

Updated post with serial numbers and observations.
1989 Carver 38 Santego

CptBacardi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby CptBacardi » May 19th, 2021, 7:01 pm

I measured the cooler and confirmed the lines go to the transmission. It’s 2” diameter, 12” can and 15” OAL. So it appears to be part number 63832T. My oil hoses are labeled 1/2” so I assume the fittings are 1/2” as well. I’m finding replacement parts made by Seakamp and Mrcool, but sometimes the fittings are listed as 1/2 and sometimes listed as 3/8. If my hoses are 1/2, the fittings probably 1/2” as well right?
1989 Carver 38 Santego

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”