Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hot water issue

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Hot water issue

Postby km1125 » June 15th, 2021, 9:13 am

I'm wondering if this is one of those engines that have a "flapper" valve in the exhaust somewhere. I've never had one, but I understand if that flapper breaks off it could jamb in the exhaust. I'm wondering if exhaust backpressure might be blocking the flow of cooling water and forcing more of it to the other side.

What do you other guys think that may be more familiar with this model of motor?

Topic author Canada
Jean-Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 28 AFT

Postby Jean-Pierre » June 15th, 2021, 9:30 am

Today I will removed both elbows to compare. and swap sides.
Its all original mercruiser parts, I will check inside the piping to see if there is a blockage but these rubber hoses are hard to remove.
The water movement I saw is the prop turning in neutral.....I went under the bed and saw the shaft turning, I could stop it with my hand, another adjustment to make....

JP
Jean-Pierre
1992 28 AFT
TWIN 5.7

Topic author Canada
Jean-Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jean-Pierre » June 15th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Verified with another elbow, the bottom hole is normal.
Removed all piping ( exhaust ) between elbow and muffler, no dead animal.

JP
Jean-Pierre
1992 28 AFT
TWIN 5.7

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 15th, 2021, 7:53 pm

A couple questions......does it look like the system you are having trouble with was recently apart if this is a new boat to you.
Have you checked where the water goes into the manifolds from the therm housing.... look inside for impeller bits.
Is this a fresh water boat.

It really is a puzzle as to where the restriction is, I am surprised there has not been more chimes on this.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 16th, 2021, 7:26 am

Can you post the engine serial number?

Topic author Canada
Jean-Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jean-Pierre » June 16th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Ok this morning I decided to check the oil cooler and guess what I found, yeah yeah I should have check that before.....
So , parts of old rubber impeller and other FOD that I have not completely removed yet, these rubber parts must have been there for years ! because last week I did replace the raw water pump and the old one was in perfect shape.

Friday I will continue cleaning the cooler and test afterwards.

JP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Pierre
1992 28 AFT
TWIN 5.7

Topic author Canada
Jean-Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jean-Pierre » June 16th, 2021, 1:47 pm

engine serial is 0D700214

2 weeks ago everything was find, but I started playing around with the first problem which was the hot water tank issue, maybe I dislodge the FOD while manipulating the hoses and it came to rest at the cooler.... ?
JP
Jean-Pierre
1992 28 AFT
TWIN 5.7

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 17th, 2021, 6:58 am

Do you have risers between the manifold and elbow?

Topic author Canada
Jean-Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jean-Pierre » June 18th, 2021, 7:29 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Do you have risers between the manifold and elbow?

No risers, the elbows are directly bolted to the manifolds, which I completely removed today, heavy piece ! Flushed both manifold and elbow with garden hose, no leak between gas path and water jacket. reinstalled with new gasket.

Collected additional rubber parts from impeller, in the oil cooler inlet and hull floor, so much that I decided to verify the pump I installed last week....all good

ran engine 10-15 minutes, exhaust hose smoking. started without the T-Stat, same thing....

Tomorrow I will swap through hull water inlet just in case the STBD is clogged, which I doubt because when the hose is disconnected at the ball valve, water is coming good, enough ? I don't know.

Found round mesh screen under the oil cooler,on the hull floor, probably came out when I removed the hose, to hard to put back for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Pierre
1992 28 AFT
TWIN 5.7

Topic author Canada
Jean-Pierre
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jean-Pierre » July 3rd, 2021, 9:33 pm

I swapped the 2 elbows yesterday, and the problem did not follow....so it's not the elbow, I removed once again the manifold and reflush with a garden hose, but more aggressive, and got approx. 1 cup of rust corn flake. I was almost happy, reinstalled everything but still burning the rubber hose....
Removed again...brought the elbow and manifold home to investigate, can't find anything wrong with these parts. Flushed and nothing is blocked, borescope, good water flow but Ordered a new manifold anyway, but I'm pretty certain it wont fix my problem....but....

JP
Jean-Pierre
1992 28 AFT
TWIN 5.7

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”