Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

220 crusader engine dies and won’t restart

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Carver Cruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver Mariner

220 crusader engine dies and won’t restart

Postby Carver Cruiser » May 28th, 2021, 6:22 pm

I’ve got a 1984 Carver Mariner twin crusader engines 220’s
Last year my starboard engine would cut out every now and then but it would restart this year when I went to start it I had no power to the ignition. I diagnosed it and thought that the solenoid was gone so I replaced it and the problem was fixed. But when I put it in the water the engine ran fine for about five minutes and then died and would not restart. When I turn the key the red light for my V Dr. does not light up on that side where is the port side does… So that’s telling me I have no power to the ignition… Anybody have any suggestions… Please I’m stumped

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: 220 crusader engine dies and won’t restart

Postby tomschauer » May 28th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Start simple. Is the neutral safety switch closed?

Topic author Canada
Carver Cruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carver Cruiser » May 28th, 2021, 9:48 pm

I wiggled the transmission shifter is to see if there was a loose connection it doesn’t matter what I do I can’t get power to the starboard engine when I turn the key on so that means that the light for the V Dr. does not come on either nothing whatsoever... no clicking no nothing

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 28th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Do you have a fuse in the panel near the key? My boat of similar vintage did and the power to the key went through that fuse.

Clarify what "doesn't work". Do your gauges move when to turn the key to ignition? Or do they move but your engine just won't crank? (a neutral safety switch affects the starter circuit but not the ignition circuit). There is also a breaker on the engine that could have corroded or loose connections and could cause the same loss of power to the key.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 29th, 2021, 10:33 am

Ya so many possibilities here, even the ignition switch is suspect. You can hotwire the run terminal and see if your gauges light up or the start terminal and see if she turns over.

Topic author Canada
Carver Cruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carver Cruiser » June 3rd, 2021, 10:14 pm

I have no power at all to the ignition switch unless I jump the wires on the solenoid … The only fuse that I can find is the 50 amp breaker that’s above the Solenoid that’s beside the starter it seems to be fine
I did have the engine running but after it warmed up it died... sometimes it would restart sometimes not and then there was absolutely nothing. I took the starter off and took it into a shop to have it tested put a new solenoid on the starter just because I already had an off put the starter back on and the same thing no power to ignition switch. Also had my ignition solenoid checked and it was fine. Is there a separate ignition fuse somewhere that I need to check and where would I find it. Both my batteries are fully charged and pass a load test with flying colours. The only way I see power to my ignition is when I use a jumper wire on the Solenoid.

Topic author Canada
Carver Cruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carver Cruiser » June 3rd, 2021, 10:38 pm

Where would I find the neutral safety switch and if it is faulty would it cause no power at all to the ignition not even the light for the V Dr. lighting up

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 4th, 2021, 8:42 am

The neutral safety switch or circuit will not cause a loss of power to your ignition switch. It will only prevent the engine from cranking.

Post a picture of your dash. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fuse mounted somewhere that you didn't even realize was there. I think it took me a year before I realized I had fuses there. There's either a breaker or a fuse in that circuit from the battery. That's separate from the big red breaker on the engine.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 4th, 2021, 9:11 am

What size is your Mariner ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”