Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 Carver 1989 18,500Lbs - how far driving on one engine?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
stutting
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 36ft AFT Cabin

Re: 3607 Carver 1989 18,500Lbs - how far driving on one engine?

Postby stutting » June 18th, 2021, 8:26 am

I need to figure out the tank issue. I think my first attempt will be to go direct from the tank and bypass the selection switch. I will go into a cut off valve for safety. Does this make sense? The fuel pumps are wired to power off the key. So I can stop the pumps shutting key off. I need to research the oil pressure shut off, excuse my greenness on this area. Learning tons....
Kevin Stutting
Princeton Iowa
1989 Carver 3607 - Dual Mercruiser 454

Topic author United States of America
stutting
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 36ft AFT Cabin

Postby stutting » June 18th, 2021, 8:31 am

The fuel pumps are wired to the ke. I need to research the oil pressure cut off. Thanks for advice!
Kevin Stutting
Princeton Iowa
1989 Carver 3607 - Dual Mercruiser 454

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 18th, 2021, 10:34 am

stutting wrote:Source of the post I need to figure out the tank issue. I think my first attempt will be to go direct from the tank and bypass the selection switch. I will go into a cut off valve for safety. Does this make sense? The fuel pumps are wired to power off the key. So I can stop the pumps shutting key off. I need to research the oil pressure shut off, excuse my greenness on this area. Learning tons....

I wouldn't mess with the fuel selector switch, unless you know there's an issue there. They are pretty reliable and not much can go wrong. You could suck some air in there is the packing is bad on the shaft. Instead of bypassing it, I would just replace it if you have doubts, so that you still always have that option of switching to the other tank. If you just put a cutoff switch in it's place, you'll still have to cap off the old one or somehow cap off the feed from the other tank anyways.

The oil pressure switch for an electric fuel pump is so that the pump cuts off if the engine dies while the switch is on. Yes, you can manually cut off the ignition too, but you have to realize there's an issue and be near the ignition switch to cut it off. If you're elsewhere (tying off lines, for example) you might not be in a position to cut off the ignition. However, having the oil switch in the circuit also means the fuel pump doesn't turn on until there's oil pressure, which might mean longer cranking times if the carb has been run dry for some reason. (In those cases, you should know how to manually start the electric pump to 'prime' the carb)

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”