Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cool Fuel system

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Artswarlock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 404 CPMY

Cool Fuel system

Postby Artswarlock » June 20th, 2021, 11:26 pm

My 2001 404 CPMY with a 7.4 Mercruiser developed a water leak and it seems the fitting on the fuel cooler drain plug has come off. I found it in the bilge.This is on the starboard engine. Wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of removing the Cool fuel assembly, and has any pointers? Thanks Art

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Cool Fuel system

Postby Viper » June 21st, 2021, 7:20 am

Nothing sticks out that I can remember. Make sure you have a container to catch whatever fuel drains from the line, and ventilate ventilate ventilate. Why are you removing the whole assembly?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 21st, 2021, 8:00 am

Artswarlock wrote:Source of the post My 2001 404 CPMY with a 7.4 Mercruiser developed a water leak and it seems the fitting on the fuel cooler drain plug has come off. I found it in the bilge.This is on the starboard engine. Wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of removing the Cool fuel assembly, and has any pointers? Thanks Art

Are you talking about those blue plastic plugs with the O ring on them ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Artswarlock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Artswarlock » June 21st, 2021, 9:38 am

It is underneath the motor mount and there is minimal clearance between the stringer and the engine. The cooler, fuel pump, and regulator are all connected. I can’t see a way to just remove the cooler. I found the blue plastic plug in the bilge with the bung it screwed into.Seems to be a pot metal material as it came apart when I picked it up. I would have thought t would have been brass as the cooler is copper.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 21st, 2021, 9:36 pm

That's a new one, never seen that before. Has this boat ever been in salt water? When you get the assembly off post some pics of the part and the assembly.

Artswarlock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Artswarlock » June 24th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Yes the boat was in salt water in Galveston, TX. And I replaced the manifolds and elbows last year and there was a leak on the manifold above the cool fuel system, must have been dripping on it as the amount of corrosion shows. Really not too bad to get off. I disconnected the water hoses, unbolted the unit from the motor mount. I then was able to move it forward and disconnected the 2 fuel lines and fuel pump, then I was able to pull the assembly back and remove the last fuel line. Getting hard to find parts, I found a NOS heat exchanger looking for a fuel pump and regulator, the mechanic told me to be careful there are a lot of cheap ones that may not deliver the correct pressure. Here are a few pics of the old assembly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 24th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Yup that is ugly alright.....good job removing it.....have you had the compulsion to look at the other side yet..... :help:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 24th, 2021, 7:22 pm

Thanks for the pics!

Artswarlock wrote:Source of the post Yes the boat was in salt water....
Yep that'll do it. We call that salt water green death up north in the Great Lakes region.

Artswarlock wrote:Source of the post.... Getting hard to find parts, I found a NOS heat exchanger looking for a fuel pump and regulator, the mechanic told me to be careful there are a lot of cheap ones.....
Are you saying the parts aren't available from Merc?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”