Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Oil change with vacuum

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '76 Carver Mariner 3395
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Oil change with vacuum

Postby KandJ72 » June 29th, 2021, 8:45 pm

I know I’m kinda the odd-man out here at times due to the boats age and the fact we have Ford based PCM engines. So here’s my head scratcher. I picked up a decent manual vacuum pump to draw through the dipstick, when I used it I only pulled about 1.5-2 quarts out. Now the ‘76 PCM 351W has what pretty much seems to be a center sump, I read something about it that they did that so no matter what pitch/roll or plane you were on the pickup would always have oil. The tube is actually not in line with the sump though it’s closer to the front of the engine on the right side. So I’m thinking when that hose is bottoming out it’s just hitting high up in the pan and I’m really not getting it out. There’s 2 cut marks on the stick that pretty much correspond when I added back in 2 quarts 1 by 1, bottom line showed 1st quart then top line for the 2nd. HOWEVER there is another line a good inch or more higher up. Not knowing what’s actually in there I don’t want to go for broke and just overfill it to that higher line “assuming” that’s the fill line. They obviously didn’t come with the fancy drain tubes everybody has now, NOR did they come with any room to place a pan under the engine let alone get down to it…. Just wondering if anyone else has had success getting these engines fully drained with a vacuum system. My thought was to just sacrifice the 2 quarts I added, suck them out, squeeze my way down there with a shallow disposable pan, try to pull the plug and then suck out whatever ends up in the pan before trying to get it out. Then add a drain kit and not change it again until she’s hauled out for the winter!!!!
Yes I do know it works, we tried it on the neighbors 5.7 and it pulled well over 4 quarts out so I know it’s not the pump.

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Re: Oil change with vacuum

Postby 390Express » June 30th, 2021, 2:45 pm

KandJ72 wrote:Source of the post I know I’m kinda the odd-man out here at times due to the boats age and the fact we have Ford based PCM engines. So here’s my head scratcher. I picked up a decent manual vacuum pump to draw through the dipstick, when I used it I only pulled about 1.5-2 quarts out. Now the ‘76 PCM 351W has what pretty much seems to be a center sump, I read something about it that they did that so no matter what pitch/roll or plane you were on the pickup would always have oil. The tube is actually not in line with the sump though it’s closer to the front of the engine on the right side. So I’m thinking when that hose is bottoming out it’s just hitting high up in the pan and I’m really not getting it out. There’s 2 cut marks on the stick that pretty much correspond when I added back in 2 quarts 1 by 1, bottom line showed 1st quart then top line for the 2nd. HOWEVER there is another line a good inch or more higher up. Not knowing what’s actually in there I don’t want to go for broke and just overfill it to that higher line “assuming” that’s the fill line. They obviously didn’t come with the fancy drain tubes everybody has now, NOR did they come with any room to place a pan under the engine let alone get down to it…. Just wondering if anyone else has had success getting these engines fully drained with a vacuum system. My thought was to just sacrifice the 2 quarts I added, suck them out, squeeze my way down there with a shallow disposable pan, try to pull the plug and then suck out whatever ends up in the pan before trying to get it out. Then add a drain kit and not change it again until she’s hauled out for the winter!!!!
Yes I do know it works, we tried it on the neighbors 5.7 and it pulled well over 4 quarts out so I know it’s not the pump.

The best "oil catch can" for tight spaces that I have found, is a 2 liter bottle, with about a tennis bowl sized hole cut out by the cap. It fits damn near anywhere, and it's collapsable (even if it doesn't fit, you can crunch it in)... the biggest issue, is lack of capacity. If you really wanted to bootleg it, you could "cowboy" (tape in succession) more two liter bottles, or make something long with a catch basin out of PVC.

Be careful, 2 liters is very limited capacity. you'll likely have to put the plug back in, dump it out, and go back at at it at least twice.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 30th, 2021, 2:46 pm

....I have a suggestion to try, measure the distance from the top of the dipstick tube to the bottom of the oil pan.......then put some tape around ( mark) the extraction tube at that distance, then stick it in only that far and see what you get out. Sometimes it can hit the bottom and curl back up.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Postby KandJ72 » June 30th, 2021, 3:09 pm

Thank you both for the suggestions, I may have to put my Redneck ( I mean Privateer) skills to work on this one. The curve ball is that oil pan sump doesn't really line up with the dipstick tube, must of been during the Iacocca era :lol: ....
The 2 liter bottle might do the trick especially if I'm getting the first 2 quarts out with the vacuum. I'll take pics and keep you guys posted on this one.
390Express where can I get a plastic 2 liter of ice cold beer?!?! I don't drink soda :beergood:

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » June 30th, 2021, 3:50 pm

KandJ72 wrote:Source of the post Thank you both for the suggestions, I may have to put my Redneck ( I mean Privateer) skills to work on this one. The curve ball is that oil pan sump doesn't really line up with the dipstick tube, must of been during the Iacocca era :lol: ....
The 2 liter bottle might do the trick especially if I'm getting the first 2 quarts out with the vacuum. I'll take pics and keep you guys posted on this one.
390Express where can I get a plastic 2 liter of ice cold beer?!?! I don't drink soda :beergood:

I'd be willing to bet wallmart has you covered! :drunk:

I stole mine from the marina garbage can. I don't drink that crap (soda) either, unless someone happens to put it in my whiskey.

KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Postby KandJ72 » June 30th, 2021, 4:12 pm

I try my best to avoid that place, they don't sell Rum :pirate:
How Dare they dilute good whiskey like that!

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » July 1st, 2021, 5:10 am

fix attach the suction line of your pump to the bottom of the creatively formed catch pan and there you go.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”