Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Idle Air Control Valve

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Santego 310
Crusader 350XL injected, Hurth Inboard
Location: On the Mighty Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest

Idle Air Control Valve

Postby Capn Crunch » August 11th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Hi all,
After replacing the fuel pump on my starboard engine injectors had a much better pattern but engine would still stall as soon as put into gear. After mechanic inspection he identified the source of stalling as the Idle Air Control Valve
20210811_102454 (2).jpg

I'm having trouble sourcing the shown part and the only number I can find is on the unit itself: 59559 (and directly under that number is: C0244&)

I did find a part @ AutoZone that looked the same at first glance, tried it and after ECU tried to map it idled at 1250rpm.
Wasn't an exact match it turned out - so I took OEM part to NAPA and they found a part in their warehouse that looked identical but showed fitment exchange for 88-92 vehicles that mostly had 6 cyl. motors not V8. Gonna give it a try, but hoping someone here has some insight into sourcing the actual replacement.

Also, I was told yesterday that when that part gets replaced that a process of adjusting the idle speed is necessary, but no indication of how to do that in a TBi setup. Anyone that can confirm that?

One other question - is it worth the effort to try using some PB Blaster to free up the mechanism on the old control valve?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Idle Air Control Valve

Postby bud37 » August 11th, 2021, 6:01 pm

They can be cleaned but you need to be careful.....there are videos on u tube that will help with that side of it. To check operation you should really be connected to a scan tool of sorts.

Regarding the first start with the new one there is a procedure for it to learn where closed and open is.......again check on line for your year and engine combo. Seems like the one you put in was staying open and not trying to control the idle speed......which is the job of the ecu. Also check out the crusader parts source for the number then cross that if you want to go to Napa, pep boys , advance etc. I have got stuff from them and it worked just fine.

Make sure the throttle plates and body/ flame arrester are clean.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » August 11th, 2021, 6:02 pm

Had the same problem, VP 8.1's. Goggle IAC 3843751. This is what I used, worked fantastic. Hope this helps.

Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Capn Crunch » August 11th, 2021, 6:35 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post They can be cleaned but you need to be careful.....

Thanks very much, I think it's beyond cleaning. The issue I'm finding is several look the same, but very few are worm-gear driven - most are more like a solenoid.

Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Capn Crunch » August 11th, 2021, 6:37 pm

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Had the same problem, VP 8.1's. Goggle IAC 3843751. This is what I used, worked fantastic. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that one actually looks like it might work! As mentioned in my reply to Bud above most aren't worm-gears... do you recall whether this referenced one is, or more like a solenoid?

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » August 11th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Gezzzz so hard to remember...Most likely a worm gear since it always variable in opening the passage. I noticed another number I put in my notes, 217435. All were for gm v6 and v8 engines.....
Last edited by pepmyster on August 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 11th, 2021, 7:06 pm

They are small stepper motors that open and close in counts and need to be partially open when at idle to keep the engine running. They do look different, but don't let the application fool you, the same ones are used in many different apps. Check the wiring connector as well.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » August 11th, 2021, 7:08 pm

Agree completely with Bud. So many different engines use the same one.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 11th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Oh I just thought.......have you put the working one from the other side in to try it and make sure it is the IAC ?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”