Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

454xli throttle body injection fuel pump

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
honkydog
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 370 Voyager

454xli throttle body injection fuel pump

Postby honkydog » August 18th, 2021, 12:59 pm

I had a no start issue on one of my 95 454xli engines. I traced voltage down to the fuel pump, but it just wasn't cycling when key moved to ON position. Sharing this as I was not able to locate much information online regarding sourcing a replacement pump.

I ordered two fuel pumps since I could not find anyone selling the original pump. I needed to be certain I would have a solution when I returned to the boat. The first was a carter P5001. This pump will work but there is only one inlet, whereas the original pump has 2 inlets. On the original, one inlet is connected to the fuel water separator outlet, and the other inlet receives return flow from the throttle body via a t-fitting. To use the carter pump you must plumb the line coming from the t-fitting to a spare inlet on the fuel water separator. This probably isnt hard to do if you have the right tools, but I did not.

The other pump I ordered was nearly a perfect fit as it had two inlets and can utilize existing fuel lines. However, the electrical connector is on the opposite side than the original pump. In order to install it in the fuel pump bracket in an orientation such that the inlet ports align with existing hard lines, you need to rotate it 180 degrees from the orientation of the original pump such that the electrical connector is facing away from the center of the engine. You can fish the wires coming from the relay around to connect without issue. I ordered this pump from the ROP shop and they were great to work with. I've put about 15 hours on the engines since I swapped the pump, and so far no issues.

https://theropshop.com/shop/products/el ... 023-556017

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Re: 454xli throttle body injection fuel pump

Postby chpsk8 » August 18th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Dang that is a much cheaper solution to the fuel pumps I had installed in mine!
Last year I paid $299 for this one and had it put on the port motor, then this year I paid $399 and had it installed on the starboard side! Good post so people can see a cheaper solution to what their mechanic might offer. :down:

https://marineenginedepot.com/fuel-pump-high-pressure-gm-pump-with-return?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1az52rWi6gIVDNvACh0vLgIwEAQYAiABEgJ0TPD_BwE

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 454xli throttle body injection fuel pump

Postby g36 » August 20th, 2021, 9:49 am

Thank you for posting this info, please update later if you can to let us others with xli engines know how it's going.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”