Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ignition Issues

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Terra Nova
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sports Sedan

Ignition Issues

Postby Terra Nova » August 23rd, 2021, 6:02 pm

I have a 2002 410 Sports Sedan. It has twin 8.1L Mercruisers - 360 HP each. When I first got the boat in June, I was having trouble starting the port engine. Often it would start no problem but after running for a awhile and then turning off to go for a swim or anchor, I couldn't get the engine to turn. would use the generator to power up and eventually replaced both cranking batteries to be safe. turns out the starter was bad and drawing a lot of power. I took that out and had it rebuilt and it turns no problem now.

Interesting enough now, I am having an issue with the starboard engine. If we are on shore power, the engine starts no problem. If I am out for a day anchoring, the engine won't crank at all. I have to turn the he port and after about 2 mins, I can get the starboard to crank no problem. Volts on the cranks are about 12.6 volts before I start the engines which I think is enough power to start.

Any suggestions on what the starboard issue is?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”