Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 10E (gas) engine parts (Ford VSG413)

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 396ES gas Crusader 8.1

Kohler 10E (gas) engine parts (Ford VSG413)

Postby thatchh » September 1st, 2021, 10:09 pm

Hi All,
I have a Kohler 10E in my 396. It has a Ford VSG-413 4 cylinder gas engine with a build date of 2002. The generator has low hours on it and is in great shape except for one thing. One of the exhaust valves rusted into place slightly open, probably from lack of use before I bought the boat. I removed the head and a machine shop got the valve out, but it is damaged. The head itself is fine. Finding parts for this engine (other than some tune-up parts) is very difficult. Kohler has discontinued most parts for this engine. Their list prices for some of the parts (they don't have) is 10X-20X the typical price from a distributor. This engine was used in other applications such as Bobcats and skid-steers. I have tried industrial and farm sites. I found a few items but no valves or push rods. I think I have a line on a head gasket set as a custom order from Clevite through Jegs. We'll see if it actually shows up. I also found a site in England (MotorDoctor.co.uk)that has parts for Ford cars which share some of the parts, but their shipping to the US is quite expensive (although way less than a new generator) I am going to contact them to verify if parts for the J6B Ford engine found in older Fiestas will fit the VSG413. The valve specs are identical. I have placed an order for a custom valve from Manley Performance to replace the bad one, but I can't find a replacement pushrod. Has anyone run across a source for parts for this engine? I hate to replace a genset that could run for many hours with a few bucks in parts. Several sites list parts for this engine, but most don't actually have stock and can't get the parts. I will share any sources I find. I 'm sure somewhere there's a warehouse with a bunch of new old stock or replacement parts that is just not accessible through internet searches. I hope we can pool some knowledge and avoid spending $14K on a new replacement.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Kohler 10E (gas) engine parts (Ford VSG413)

Postby Viper » September 2nd, 2021, 6:47 am

It might help if you posted a spec and serial number. To clarify, you have sourced a valve and are looking for a push rod, correct?

Topic author United States of America
thatchh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 396ES gas Crusader 8.1

Re: Kohler 10E (gas) engine parts (Ford VSG413)

Postby thatchh » September 8th, 2021, 11:27 pm

Correct, I am looking for a pushrod. It would be nice to know if there is a source for valves as well for future reference.
My generator is a Kohler model 10E-CB3 serial number 0776619 spec number GM17772-GA2. The engine serial is 03-09-060495 and the base engine code is P89BF-6005-BE.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”