Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Navigating in salt water with Crusaders

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
JimCarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Mariner 360 2004. 650 hours on the 6 liter Crusaders gas engines. We've owned the boat since June 2021.

Navigating in salt water with Crusaders

Postby JimCarver » September 13th, 2021, 4:06 am

Hello,
My home port is in Gananoque, Ontario where my 360 Mariner with Crusader engines has ran in fresh water its whole life (650 hours). I'm considering navigating to South Carolina for the winter and spending 5 months in salt water, and was wondering if my engines are made to run in salt water or not.
Since my engines use Prestone, I believe they're closed cooling.
Your answers are very much appreciated.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Navigating in salt water with Crusaders

Postby Viper » September 13th, 2021, 7:15 am

Having a "closed cooled" or "fresh water cooled" (coolant filled) block is what you want, the question is whether your exhaust manifolds are closed cooled. If they're not, it's not a deal breaker but they're life will be shortened running in salt water. The typical benchmark to start worrying about their condition in salt water applications is 5 to 8 years. That doesn't mean automatic replacement at that point, it's just something you have to keep in mind and consider adding periodic inspect as part of your overall maintenance schedule. When ignored for too long you're running on borrowed time and a failure can be catastrophic for the engine.

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Postby uchu » September 13th, 2021, 9:53 am

We're talking about a roughly 1,200 mi. trip, each way. Hopefully you'll give your boat a thorough inspection before undertaking such journey! It certainly requires careful preparation.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 13th, 2021, 10:56 am

That sounds like a great trip
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 13th, 2021, 11:40 am

I'm jealous. Sounds like a great plan.

The engines will be fine with some saltwater, but just note Viper's comments.

Bring plenty of spares for the trip (impellers, filters, etc) because just saving a few hours instead of waiting for parts can save you days in the commute and avoid a lot of frustration.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 13th, 2021, 4:36 pm

Even if you have fresh water cooled engines, you still have a raw water side. On my boat, all of my sea strainers have connections that I can hook up a fresh water hose to. In a manner of minutes, I can flush my engines, genset and AC system. Makes winterizing a breeze as well.

BTW, many, many thousands of Crusaders have and are being used in salt water and have been for years. I would say the vast majority are fresh water cooled which extends the life of the engine.

Topic author Canada
JimCarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Mariner 360 2004. 650 hours on the 6 liter Crusaders gas engines. We've owned the boat since June 2021.

Postby JimCarver » September 29th, 2021, 8:05 am

Thank you viper, buster53, km1125, g36 and uchu for all you comments and answers!

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”