Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

8.1 Volvo Penta oil capacity???

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
PoppyTortuga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 356 with 8.1L Gi Volvo Pentas

8.1 Volvo Penta oil capacity???

Postby PoppyTortuga » October 17th, 2021, 2:39 pm

This one is driving me crazy captains and I need some guidance. I have the 8.1 Volvo Penta engines. The manual states it takes 8 quarts for an oil change and 9 quarts with oil/filter... so it will always be 9 quarts for me when I do oil changes. Wow! That seems like a lot of oil... was my first response. I also have a Reverso pump connected that the original PO had installed when he ordered the boat new from Carver... I'm the second owner. He (the PO) told me he only sucked out 6 - 6.5 quarts every time he did his oil change and it pulls from the oil pan. I hand traced the Reverso lines and they DO NOT go to the bottom of engine... so that part is incorrect. They go to the outside dip stick pipes (Penta's have 2 dip sticks... 1 on each side of engine, i.e., inside and outside for this conversation). When I did my first oil change I too sucked out ~6 quarts. AND since the Reverso line goes to the oil dip stick pipe I'm wondering if the PO, and now me, are leaving 2.5-3 quarts in the oil pan? That's what is driving my crazy... thinking used oil not getting sucked out. NOTE: it only took 6 quarts to fill thereafter... obviously.

Now, doing my online research people are telling me the Penta 8.1 only takes 6 quarts... and the manual is wrong. I know at the next oil change I'll borrow a portable oil sucker and try to confirm I have it all out... but until then... can anyone confirm by their experience (no opinions please) what they actually get out of their 8.1 Pentas.
NOTE: I also contacted Reverso and was told the dip stick option hose length would be determined by the installer (Carver in this case) so if was cut too short that could be the problem.

Thank you for helping me sleep better tonight :)
Bob

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 8.1 Volvo Penta oil capacity???

Postby Midnightsun » October 17th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Sure looks like a TYPO! DonS was a very knowledgeable boat mechanic by the way, unfortunately he passed away several years ago. He was very prevalent on many forums so I definitely believe his answer to this post. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/oil-c ... -h.533829/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » October 17th, 2021, 6:02 pm

In my 8.1 VP with filter I put 6.5 liters. Perfect level.

United States of America
Steve2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 41 CMY

Postby Steve2020 » October 18th, 2021, 1:34 pm

My 8.1 VP take 6.5 with filter

PoppyTortuga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby PoppyTortuga » October 20th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Thank you all for your replies... :worthy: Sounds like 6.5 is my new magic number. I shall sleep well tonight. Time for a night cap :beergood:

PoppyTortuga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby PoppyTortuga » October 20th, 2021, 8:23 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Sure looks like a TYPO! DonS was a very knowledgeable boat mechanic by the way, unfortunately he passed away several years ago. He was very prevalent on many forums so I definitely believe his answer to this post. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/oil-c ... -h.533829/

Yeah, I saw that post but couldn't locate a manual or bulletin to verify. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”