Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

crusader 270 distributor issue.

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

crusader 270 distributor issue.

Postby ataylor233 » February 22nd, 2022, 10:38 pm

Ok I'm so confused I have an issue with my starboard engine. the distributor is hosed .....The Crusader engine manual says it should have a Mallory yl624av Distributor however i managed to scrape the paint off of it and it says YL670av i need to replace this distributor and i don't know what to get to replace it with. The 624 has a Sierra 18-5313-1 I see nothing for the 670... any help would be appreciated .

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: crusader 270 distributor issue.

Postby g36 » February 23rd, 2022, 11:14 am

The yl624av would work fine the sierra like you had pointed out ....https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-5313-1. It's still a points distributor if you went with a ylm624 it would be magnetic and no points to worry about anymore. If you can find it but heres a sierra equivalent https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra- ... mXEALw_wcB
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » February 23rd, 2022, 11:47 am

g36 wrote:Source of the post The yl624av would work fine the sierra like you had pointed out ....https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-5313-1. It's still a points distributor if you went with a ylm624 it would be magnetic and no points to worry about anymore. If you can find it but heres a sierra equivalent https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra- ... mXEALw_wcB

Thank you this was helpful

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 23rd, 2022, 12:11 pm

It may just be the dizzy numbers difference is, what cap design they each require, now don't quote me on this.......one is a flat cap the other the normal type we are used to.....which cap design do you have on your engines ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » March 5th, 2022, 1:11 pm

Ok im catching hell with this one new distributor installed. Lined everything up top dead center rotor pointed at cylinder 1 drops in great wired everything up great... Im getting spark to the coil and it looks like to the plugs. And it won't fire just kinda backfires I made a video here.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 5th, 2022, 1:51 pm

Sure you're at TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke?? More than once I've made that mistake!!

Also, did you double-check the firing order and the plug wires that are attached to the cap?? (again - more than once I've made THAT mistake!!)

Did you do a static timing (put crank at ~10BTDC and rotate the dist until you get spark, then bolt it down) or check timing with a timing light to see if you're somewhere in the ballpark?

ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » March 5th, 2022, 1:55 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Sure you're at TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke?? More than once I've made that mistake!!

OK i figured out my timing is way off I got it to start by rotating the distributer almost 90 before it fired up and cut back off.. So I got a little bit more to figure out. But I think I will be fine
Also, did you double-check the firing order and the plug wires that are attached to the cap?? (again - more than once I've made THAT mistake!!)

Did you do a static timing (put crank at ~10BTDC and rotate the dist until you get spark, then bolt it down) or check timing with a timing light to see if you're somewhere in the ballpark?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”