Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

93 Mariner 330 "18L 19" Propeller

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 93 Carver Mariner 330. 2X 350XL Crusaders

93 Mariner 330 "18L 19" Propeller

Postby Pura Vida » March 6th, 2022, 4:32 pm

Am I correct to assume that this stamping on my propeller can be read as 18 inch diameter, Left engine rotation, 19 pitch ?

Reading through the many insightful posts, particularly on fuel mileage, rpm's, and efficiency...i saw many comments referring to 20, 21, 22 pitched props. This makes me question if 19's are appropriate. I expect they are original, and would think that 19s would give higher rpm than higher pitched props, but my rpms at WOT seem to be 3000/3100 max.

Just looking for insights and clarifications. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: 93 Mariner 330 "18L 19" Propeller

Postby Cooler » March 7th, 2022, 11:00 am

Can't quite make out the stamp from the pic, but 19X19 was the normal original production size. They are counter rotating so the L would mean left. That RPM max is really low though. Your 350XL with V drives, 19" props should reach 4000 RPM easily, rated at 4400 WOT when new. If you truly have 18" props, that would increase to 4600 WOT. When Carver determined prop size, that was a collaboration with Crusader to figure out best "general use" size for general population, based on power and hull design. Not sure size change is going to do anything for you until you get those RPM's up. You may want to consider a complete tune up for the engines. Caps, rotors, plugs, wires,...the whole enchilada. How many hours are on the engines? Finally, make sure your throttle cables are adjusted accurately. They do stretch over time. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 7th, 2022, 11:22 am

To answer your question, yes, an 18Lx19 should be 18 inches in diameter, 19 pitch with a left-hand rotation.

To double-check the diameter, just measure from center of shaft to one blade tip and double it. See if that comes closer to 18 or 19.

Definitely agree with Cooler. Either an 18 or 19 (or probably even a 20 or 21), your engines should get WELL OVER 3100 RPM at WOT. Is the bottom clean? Definitely look at fuel filters too. If you don't know when they've been replaced, then replace them ALL (primary and secondary) to start with "known good".

Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Pura Vida » March 7th, 2022, 7:39 pm

Thanks Cooler & KM. All good insights & after reading through almost every post in this great forum, confirms my suspicions. The boat is new to me, one season. ~1100 indicated hours on each side, although the port engine is claimed to have been replaced. I believe it since the prop shaft-transmission bolts fell out during an evening cruise on the port side.
The stamp on the prop is clearly 18L 19, i will check that with a tape & look at the cable rigging as well once the weather cooperates.
The boat was basically a slip-based lounge for the last 16 years, hard wired to the dock with direct tv and all, & certainly not regularly run or maintained under the decks.
I've done plugs, filters, and assorted maintenance so far - certainly plan on the less urgent details this year. Most of last summer's projects were emergency-type unfortunately, but hopefully i can make progress toward "maintenance" instead of repairs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 7th, 2022, 9:29 pm

That stamp is much more clear now. May have been stamped after a repair when the work was done. I don't have any stamps on my props. I do have the original equipment list and that is disclosed as 19X19. 1100 hours on Crusaders is not bad at all as long as they were maintained. They should not be tired, creating your loss of RPM. Wonder if the prop size was reduced to complete a repair. Does the other prop have the same stamp, with an R? Also, just for comparison, at 3100 RPM, I am doing 19MPH in 1 to 2 ft chop. Compare that speed to RPM to determine if your tachs are accurate. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Pura Vida » March 8th, 2022, 4:47 pm

I will check the stbd side prop stamps weather permitting...lots of mud the other day while looking about.
Both engines were similar in RPM, sound & sync'd well.
This thread will help me remember things to look at/for once the season starts.
The throttles "almost" firewall, perhaps ill be lucky & report back with an easy cable adjustment.

BTW, the Port prop also had two other stampings...pics attached. I suppose one is a serial/date code & other is mfg.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 9th, 2022, 12:15 pm

Just speculating, but looks like 08 05 is the date of repair. The 6 digit number maybe the repair facility identifier. The cable adjustment would not be a lot to gain another 800 or 900 RPM, so check both ends. You are not going to run at above 3600RPM anyway, gas consumption above 3400 really gets ugly. I think everything is going to be OK. You're biggest issue going forward is gas price. I keep seeing $6 price signs on the TV news at car stations. Yikes! That is probably the high side, but scary how that will translate to marine stations. Hoping my marina has some fuel in the tanks from last fall. I will have access to my boat in warm storage, in a few weeks. Looking forward to getting prepped for launch in roughly 60 days. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 9th, 2022, 12:46 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Just speculating, but looks like 08 05 is the date of repair. The 6 digit number maybe the repair facility identifier. The cable adjustment would not be a lot to gain another 800 or 900 RPM, so check both ends. You are not going to run at above 3600RPM anyway, gas consumption above 3400 really gets ugly. I think everything is going to be OK. You're biggest issue going forward is gas price. I keep seeing $6 price signs on the TV news at car stations. Yikes! That is probably the high side, but scary how that will translate to marine stations. Hoping my marina has some fuel in the tanks from last fall. I will have access to my boat in warm storage, in a few weeks. Looking forward to getting prepped for launch in roughly 60 days. 8-) er

A friend works for a printing company and one of their clients is a national gas retailer. They just got bombed with a big order for extra 5's and 6's for the signs. At least they didn't order 7's and 8's!!!! (although the 6's could also be used as 9's!!! )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 9th, 2022, 12:49 pm

"MWC" is definitely "Michigan Wheel Corp"

I'd check the other prop. If they were OEM, then likely the two serial numbers will be consecutive.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”