Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

97' 355AC Rudder Stuffing Box

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Cork the Whine
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997, 355AC

97' 355AC Rudder Stuffing Box

Postby Cork the Whine » May 16th, 2022, 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I've been chasing water for a year now and have chased it back to the starboard rudder stuffing box. There's a very quick drip out of the top. I've got the aft stateroom pulled apart, specifically the night stand on the starboard side and I can get at the jam nut and stuffing box. I've never adjusted (tightened) one of these beofre, I just ordered a 2.25" stuffing box wrench short handle does any one have any tipsfor loosening the jam nut? Looking for any help you might offer. It seems to be stuck together, although I didnt have the right tools this past Sunday.

Thanks!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 97' 355AC Rudder Stuffing Box

Postby Viper » May 16th, 2022, 7:27 pm

Should be pretty straight forward. Loosen the jam nut and tighten the packing nut just enough to stop the leak unless your intention is to repack the log with new packing.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 16th, 2022, 8:00 pm

I picked up a couple of these from Home Depot a while ago. They adjust large enough for the stuffing boxes and you can add a section of pipe to the handle if you need more leverage. They work great.
rigid_hex_offset_wrench.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cork the Whine
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Cork the Whine » May 16th, 2022, 9:32 pm

Thank you!!! the issue is space / length of the tool. But I get hte idea thank you!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 16th, 2022, 9:41 pm

You may have to use 2 wrenches, one to hold and one to loosen the jam nut.....sometimes a pipe wrench will work maybe a nice aluminum. I made a couple out of flat bar.

If you are lucky maybe someone did not tighten too much and maybe a strap wrench will work.....good luck with your contortions.. :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Cork the Whine
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Cork the Whine » August 16th, 2022, 9:16 am

So to close the loop on this.... The mystery water developing in starboard side bilge (under the black water tank) of our 97' 355AC was NOT coming from the stuffing box as I thought. (It does infact drip a bit of water but not at the rate that was filling the bilge). The water was coming from our rear AC unit. There were (2) quater sized holes rusted through the bottom of the drip pan. I only was able to figure this out becasue the shower sump stopped filling with water. I pulled the AC unit and found the holes on the far port side of the drip pan of which theres no visability unless you pull the unit. I've temporatily patched the holes and will address this off season. The water is going where it should have been going.... bilge is dry.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 16th, 2022, 10:49 am

Congrats on finding the problem and coming back and updating the thread!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 16th, 2022, 4:41 pm

:down: Thanks for following up.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”