Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1989 Carver Montego w/Volvo Penta AQ271c

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
jrides55
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Montego Mid-Cabin

1989 Carver Montego w/Volvo Penta AQ271c

Postby jrides55 » June 1st, 2022, 9:41 am

Hey, I'm looking for some advice on part of the cooling system on this engine. Where the raw water hose comes through the transom, it goes into a plastic fitting which runs into a black tube with a couple rubber hoses coming off of it and at the top it goes into the raw water hose which runs to the impeller. Sorry I don't have pictures.

Does anyone know what this black, vertical tube does? Is it possible that this tube could be plugged? I can't seem to find anything to help me identify this. Thanks!
1989 Carver Montego Mid-Cabin 23'
(Not a Carver) 1972 Glastron V-176 Swinger

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1989 Carver Montego w/Volvo Penta AQ271c

Postby km1125 » June 1st, 2022, 10:43 am

Sounds like an oil cooler of some sort. Could be for engine oil or transmission fluid.

Yes, it could be plugged. You could remove the raw water hoses from each end and spray water though it backwards, or use a wet/dry vac on the "input" side to see what you might be able to suck out.

I'm guessing you're having some kind of overheating issue that you're trying to resolve? What have you done so far to investigate the issue?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 1989 Carver Montego w/Volvo Penta AQ271c

Postby Viper » June 2nd, 2022, 7:12 am

If the raw water is coming through the transom, it'll be a sterndrive application, so as KM mentioned, it's likely the engine oil cooler. It's a heat exchanger designed to cool your engine oil. Yes this can clog with marine growth. A picture would definitely help identify the part you're talking about. Why are you asking, do you have a cooling issue?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”