Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Slip-In Silencer

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Hudsteve
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 32 Carver Montego 454 Michigan city Indiana

Slip-In Silencer

Postby Hudsteve » June 8th, 2022, 8:52 pm

Has anyone used a slip in silencer to help reduce the noise?

Or any better ideas to help quiet our crusader 454's?

thanks

Steve 1990 carver montego

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Slip-In Silencer

Postby km1125 » June 9th, 2022, 10:20 am

Not sure exactly what you're referring to. Have a link or picture?

A LONG time ago I tried some things called "dappers". They were a 4" tube with some baffles inside. I put them in the 4" exhaust hose headed out to the transom. It was tough to do a before/after comparison because I did it over the winter. Anybody who had taken a trip the prior year couldn't tell that it was any quieter with them on. I ended up removing them and didn't notice an increase in sound either. This is on 350HP 7.4L Crusaders.

One thing I DO think makes a difference (other than, obviously, a real muffler), is to make sure your raw water pumps are flowing all the water they're supposed to flowing. At over 1000 hours on my original pumps, they were still pumping plenty to keep the engines cool, but I ended up rebuilding them as part of PM. The new cams were quite a bit thicker than the old worn cams (I have pics somewhere). The increased flow make a noticeable reduction in engine noise. Not as much as mufflers would, but certainly noticeable.

Hudsteve
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Hudsteve » June 9th, 2022, 3:41 pm

Here's a link to what I was looking at

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12622-4 ... aspx#video

Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 9th, 2022, 9:05 pm

I doubt you'll get any meaningful reduction in noise with those units. I've dealt with Hardin in the past for other more substantial units that are about 2 feet long and even they can't compare to a good muffler.

What kind of muffler do you currently have?

Hudsteve
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Hudsteve » June 9th, 2022, 9:26 pm

It looks similar to this one

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/maste ... uffler-kit

I will get the exact pic this weekend

what do you recommend?

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » June 9th, 2022, 10:51 pm

Those look too small. My 454's have centek mufflers on them - larger, barrel shaped. If you search for centek on that same greatlakesskipper.com site something similar comes up for carver boats.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 10th, 2022, 7:27 am

I find "lift" mufflers to be the quietest design but there are good horizontal designs too. There are also a few things that can reduce a muffler's ability to reduce noise. Horizontal designs need to be mounted pretty level which isn't always the case. An internal failure such as a broken tube or baffle will basically render it useless as far as reducing noise. A poor running engine will also change the acoustics.

If you have room and cash and really want to get it as quiet as possible, I'd retrofit with Lift mufflers from Centek known as the Vernalift. Here is a common design but there are other base mounted horizontal types... https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=centek+vernalift+lift+muffler&form=HDRSC2&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

Another option is to contact Hardin and ask them about their exhaust system inserts. These units are installed inside your exhaust hose by the engine but you need a long straight run that will accommodate them. Unless things have changed, they build them based on your application. What you have to be careful with here is that you don't introduce excessive back pressure in the exhaust system.

What is it that is concerning you about the noise? Is it really noisy when you run it at the dock and you're concerned about your neighbours? Are you in an open or covered slip? Sometimes the acoustics at the dock in a covered slip can be amplified by the surrounding structure.

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » June 10th, 2022, 9:24 am

I wondering if you simply add a angled elbow at the exhaust exit that would force the exhaust down into the water? Let he water muffle the sound?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 10th, 2022, 9:48 am

RobGunn wrote:Source of the post I wondering if you simply add a angled elbow at the exhaust exit that would force the exhaust down into the water? Let he water muffle the sound?

I have seen boats do that, and I considered it myself on the 3607. If you do though, make SURE you provide a small relief port so that air can get in and water doesn't get sucked up into the exhaust when it cools down. This solution would work great around the dock and at no-wake speeds, but would do little up on plane unless you extend them further down below the hull. That could be a lot more work though, as the drag would be substantial.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 10th, 2022, 10:30 am

Not to derail this but this is interesting never the less as some Carvers had this installed with no internal muffler.....28 Mariners for example.

http://www.google.com/patents/US3291252
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”