Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Generator Problems

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
BigJoel57
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 440

Generator Problems

Postby BigJoel57 » June 13th, 2022, 9:17 am

I've owned my 1997 Carver 440 for 3 years now and only recently I started having issues with the generator. It's a Kohler generator. It has 1,700 hours on it and I have everything serviced annually. We are on a fresh water lake in Texas.

My generator has done a great job since I've owned the boat. In the past month, I've had issues with it shutting down. It will run for 30 minutes and then it will cut off. I've checked the breaker for the generator, down in the aft cabin closet, and it was tripped. I pushed it back in and started the generator and it cut off after a few minutes. Sometimes the breaker trips and sometimes it doesn't. I can get the generator started 3 or 4 times. It'll run for a few minutes then it won't start at all. The starter just tries to crank it but it won't start.

I did have some water in my port side fuel tank, that caused my port engine to sputter. It also runs the generator, but I've treated the fuel with HEET and the port engine runs fine now. But I still have the generator issue.
Last edited by BigJoel57 on June 13th, 2022, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Generator Problems

Postby km1125 » June 13th, 2022, 10:16 am

Based on that last paragraph, I'm guessing that this is gas and not diesel. If so, I would definitely flow a couple gallons from the tank to the nearest point on the generator to make sure all those lines and filters are flushed of an of the bad gas, OR I'd figure a way to run it from a temporary tank while troubleshooting. Bad gas is such a variable that will complicate any troubleshooting methods.

When you're having trouble starting it, you should also be aware of the possibility of water intrusion from the exhaust because there aren't enough exhaust gases flowing to flush the water out to the lake.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Generator Problems

Postby bud37 » June 13th, 2022, 12:13 pm

Welcome to the forum......post the generator model number and size as there was a generator guy that used to check in here the odd time.

Good advice about closing the thru hull if you have to overcrank it......that will keep water from the cylinders....I believe there may be an explanation of the procedure and why in the operators manual for your unit.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”