Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Coolant

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Coolant

Postby Petemait » July 22nd, 2022, 11:53 am

I am getting ready to start my engine after a rebuild.
I am looking to fill up the heat exchanger and coolant system today. The engine is a 1983 crusader 454.
The book says "full system capacity" is 32 quarts for a 454, and 14 quarts of antifreeze. So about 44% ethylene glycol and 56% water.
Is 50/50 mixture good enough? I am in the boston area and definitely dont want any freezing issues.

Any additional advice is appreciated!

Thank you
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Coolant

Postby bud37 » July 22nd, 2022, 12:42 pm

Pete, there maybe a scale/table on the back of the antifreeze jug as to the freeze protection for certain mixtures.....but the ultimate would be to get a good anti freeze tester and fine tune it later....tough to get all the amounts just right at the start, sometime there needs to be things changed so don't go too far with all the coolant just yet, it can be adjusted later after you are sure all is well.....good luck with the the first start and run.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 22nd, 2022, 1:41 pm

Thank you Bud. I will try 50/50 for now.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 22nd, 2022, 4:33 pm

I wouldn't sweat it too much, 50/50 should be fine for your area. Typically 50/50 protects to around -35F, 60/40 coolant/water is good to about -61F, 70/30 is good to about -83F. These are only approx. guidelines but they give you an idea. Also keep in mind that the ratios affect the boil-over protection.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”