Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2 part post, start with 454 carbs

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

2 part post, start with 454 carbs

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 3rd, 2022, 1:07 pm

My 390 has 454 Carbed engines. The starboard is newer with 125 hours. Been about 4 years and I am ready to replace spark plugs. NOT. lot of room in there. They look OK from the outside,. I came back from a 50 mile trip and sprayed some WD40 (ll I had) into the area of the spark plugs, hoping s it cools it will draw the WD into the plug thread. Do you change hot engine or cold? Keep in mind the are on the outside of the engine will roast your arms if you get them on that manifold. Suggestions? Should I be concerned about snapping one off in the head?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 2 part post, start with 454 carbs

Postby Viper » September 3rd, 2022, 2:01 pm

No need to remove them with a hot engine. Just keep the socket/ratchet at the same angle as the plug and you should be okay. It is tight but there is enough room to do it. Getting in front of the engines helps with the forward outside ones. If you can't get in front of the starboard engine (nearly impossible on some of those) you can do it from the top. It might take some force if they're corroded in but they should snap free. If you find yourself having to use excessive force, stop and hit them with penetrating fluid and try again later. Even squirting a little diesel onto the threads and letting them sit overnight helps.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 3rd, 2022, 2:35 pm

They don’t look corroded or rusted so it may not be as bad as I am making it. Agree fully on keep the angle as straight as possible. Thank you

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 3rd, 2022, 3:02 pm

WD40 is ok, but get a true penetrating oil, like PB Blaster or maybe Liquid Wrench. Spray everything and then run the engine. The vibration helps the oil soak deeper into the threads.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 3rd, 2022, 3:52 pm

If they don't loosen right away, then try and tighten them JUST A VERY TINY BIT first, then try and loosen. That always helps with corroded bolts

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » September 6th, 2022, 8:55 am

BP Blaster is the best penetration oil I have ever found. I would also suggest that you use a 6 point socket rather than a 12 point. A 6 point gives a MUCH better contact on the hex of the plug.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”