Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hurth Transmissions on 1994 390 CPMY, 454’s

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Hurth Transmissions on 1994 390 CPMY, 454’s

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 3rd, 2022, 1:12 pm

Been getting a squeak on transmissions, mainly starboard between 750 and 900 when motoring forward. Above or below don't hear it. Pretty much same as when you turn the shafts when it is on the hard in the dry cutlass bearing. Well

Today I was warming up the engines, and at idle I could hear that light squeal from the starboard transmission while in Neutral. Fluid was changed 5 years ago and mechanic sid filter was pretty heavy. I changed last year and filter was clean, and fluid good. I didn’t wash the filter just replaced. Am I looking at a rebuild or bad bearing? I know trans rebuilt can be bought for $3500.00, but marina will probably charge me $6999.99 for same unit plus labor.

Any thoughts here. ?

Thanks!

Tony

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Hurth Transmissions on 1994 390 CPMY, 454’s

Postby Viper » September 3rd, 2022, 1:51 pm

Have you confirmed that there is no shaft creep while she is in neutral at idle? What about above idle in neutral?

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 3rd, 2022, 2:01 pm

No shaft creep in N. I was also thinking of something “rattling”. Above idle seems quiet. I am going to delve deeper when it cools down with the old prybar on the transmission and the other end at my ear.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 3rd, 2022, 2:09 pm

Ya don't condemn the tranny until you've eliminated the possibility of it being generated by the engine. Sound can play tricks on you down there. Check all the usual suspects for squeals; pulleys, water pumps, alternator, belts, etc. A rattle could be from a broken spring in the damper/flex plate behind the bellhousing and lead one to think it's coming from the tranny. A rattle in the tranny could also be an engine that's not running properly and causing the tranny to rattle from an imbalanced input from the engine. Can just be one cylinder misfiring. You can also get a rattle from a broken muffler baffle. Go through everything and note where it's NOT coming from and move on to the next item.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 3rd, 2022, 2:38 pm

Thank you. I am going to tune engine next week first. I believe the flex plate was new when engine went in. Have to check my receipts. More soon.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”