Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carburetor for 7.5 KW Generator

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
gctiii
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Montego 35. Closing on her 31 January if the items I noted are repaired. Twin 454 Crusaders in great shape. Port side needs a tune up. Mostly minor repairs.

Carburetor for 7.5 KW Generator

Postby gctiii » November 6th, 2022, 3:44 pm

Hi all you smart boat mechanics and suppliers. I am the owner of a 1990 model 3557 Montego.

I have a serious dilemma; I am looking for operable Carburetor to repair my generator made by Kohler. new or used (if operable and can be rebuilt is fine).
The model num is : 7.5R or 7.5R27 Serial Number: 197312
Spec is: 106276-A
Kohler part number is: 5005303 verified this in part's manual and stamp on carb.
Carb manufacturer mark is C-241227. The generator is getting a valve job and Carb is shot, no way to repair as electrolysis has eaten the air mixture shaft and the bolt. In all my years I have never seen so much damage. A rebuild kit will not fix the problem.

Please if any of you can help or point me to business to get one, I would greatly appreciate it. Kohler could not help they only make diesel generators now.
Thank you Gordon

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carburetor for 7.5 KW Generator

Postby bud37 » November 6th, 2022, 4:20 pm

If you can't find a Kohler specific part, check the engine maker for parts.....these are really just light equipment engines that can be found in many things like lawn tractors etc.....worth a shot, maybe adaptable.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 6th, 2022, 7:26 pm

That generator most likely has a Honda or Kawasaki engine.
As Bud mentioned, determine the engine make and model and you can hopefully find a new carb.

gctiii
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Montego 35. Closing on her 31 January if the items I noted are repaired. Twin 454 Crusaders in great shape. Port side needs a tune up. Mostly minor repairs.

Postby gctiii » November 7th, 2022, 11:57 am

I am going to try that next. Got to head back down to Gulfport this month and will find the make of the engine. I know it is a flathead 4!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 7th, 2022, 1:36 pm

gctiii wrote:Source of the post I am going to try that next. Got to head back down to Gulfport this month and will find the make of the engine. I know it is a flathead 4!

Oh that is an old one......tractors, welding machines, utility generators depending on which model the engine is etc....check some yards down there.

Is yours cranked from a starter or the gen head/exciter ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 7th, 2022, 2:40 pm

It would shock me if that was really a flathead on a 1990-ish vintage motor - especially if it's a Honda or Kawasaki.

gctiii
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby gctiii » November 8th, 2022, 8:19 am

The engine is indeed a four-cylinder flathead. It is currently apart as I have a sticking valve. No other damage to the engine except it is old. I normally head back to the boat monthly but children coming home this month for Thanksgiving.

The cost for a new generator is just crazy to be honest.

gctiii
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby gctiii » November 8th, 2022, 8:20 am

Oh it is electric start.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 8th, 2022, 9:32 am

gctiii wrote:Source of the post The engine is indeed a four-cylinder flathead. It is currently apart as I have a sticking valve. No other damage to the engine except it is old. I normally head back to the boat monthly but children coming home this month for Thanksgiving.

The cost for a new generator is just crazy to be honest.

Poking around a bit I am indeed shocked that they were still using flatheads into the 90s!! Definitely agree the new genset prices are crazy, or even beyond crazy these days. Even used ones have crazy prices. They've been very high for a couple decades but maybe they were always crazy high.

I also poked around for a bit to see if I could find some resources for a carb, but couldn't find any good leads.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 8th, 2022, 9:57 am

If a parts search doesn't get you anywhere, look for a generator repair service that's been in business for a long time and I'll bet they'll have a used carb lying around somewhere or may have leads on one.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”