Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1997 Carver Aft 355 with twin Crusaders.. 7.4's...

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
benica
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 Aft cabin. 7.4 engines.

1997 Carver Aft 355 with twin Crusaders.. 7.4's...

Postby benica » December 6th, 2022, 6:33 am

Hopefully, I can help another when the time comes...
Today I need some ideas...
Started out on a 7 day boat ride...
Fresh oil, fuel, plugs, wires, filters, 2 new heat exchangers...
First day...average 9 knots around 2300 RPM for...8/9 hours...uneventful day....stopped for fuel and slip.
Next AM....2 hours in...port engine....RPM's drop to 1000 then 2000 then 1000....fluctuating...tried increasing the throttle...throttle wouldn't move up/increase....ran around 1200 RPM and matched the port engine the same and limped along. Got to a marina....mechanic does his diagnosis...replaced the coil and control module....next morning...underway fine.
Port engine no issues. 7 hours in....SB engine...acting up...same symptoms as port. Stopped...mechanic comes out...replaces coil and module also.
Underway...few hours in...SB cutting out....lower the throttles and mosey along...1800 rpm's...
SB acts up still...after a few hours....
Doing research...cause so far... money spent been....questionable...
Engines do NOT overheat....180° area..
Oil pressure is fine..
Transmission issues ruled out.....
1020 hours on engines....
Concensus is.. we all agree to disagree.....
Half say...electrical issue...half say.. fuel injection issue...
Paying a tech...to guess...essentially just swap out parts...wasted money. Both techs hooked up....some code reader with flashing red light and went from that point..
Just before the engine acts up...tried increasing the throttle...gas lever...won't allow me to go up...down is fine....
Suggestions...
Pompano Beach area...
Thank you for reading and potential replies...

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1997 Carver Aft 355 with twin Crusaders.. 7.4's...

Postby km1125 » December 6th, 2022, 9:13 am

What did you do to check the fuel filters prior to suspecting the electrical stuff? I know (or it looks like) you replaced the filters before you started out, but stirring up the tanks on the trip you might have loosened up some gunk and plugged up the new filters right away. Your symptoms (as described) are so very typical of plugged filters.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 6th, 2022, 10:40 am

I agree with km. Fuel delivery is suspect though I wouldn't rule out an electrical/ignition issue either but stick with eliminating one system at a time. Is there more than one fuel filter per engine, and did they ALL get replaced? You stopped elsewhere for fuel so check the filters for water and debris. The anti-siphon valves are also suspect as well as poor ventilation, check the tank vents. Check the position of your fuel valves and ensure they are placed such that each engine is running off its own tank and that the crossover if applicable is closed. Make sure they are centered in the correct position, they may have been bumped against when working on the engines.

If all that checks out, my next thing would be to consider running on a remote tank though running that long before the symptom arises may render that impractical unless it's a very large tank.

When this happens, has anyone taken temp readings in the engine compartment? Have you tried running with the engine hatches off?

I assume you've been running on the main tanks and not the aft auxiliary tank if applicable?

What model 7.4L are we talking about here? That would really help to know what fuel and electrical/ignition components we're dealing with.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » December 6th, 2022, 11:27 am

On my 1997 405 with crusader xli's. You'll find 3 filters on each engine. Heres a post I made way back. I bet yours is the same setup. The round ufo screen is a definite issue clogs easily and can be opened and can be cleaned the other elements are replaced and not reusable..

From fuel selector valves #1 is a black 4" round filter which is this.... https://www.jegs.com/i/Oberg-Filters/706/4028U/10002/-1
Next in line is a water separator filter looks like this ...https://www.westmarine.com/racor-110a-s ... 08664.html and last
There is a inline filter at the tbi....https://www.google.com/amp/s/marineengi ... l-filter/..

All are on stbd side of engine oberg down low,water seperstor mid height and cannister right next to tbi
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 6th, 2022, 2:25 pm

benica wrote:Source of the post Paying a tech...to guess...essentially just swap out parts...wasted money. Both techs hooked up....some code reader with flashing red light and went from that point..

Basically they can only get any codes in memory doing that........the only way to do it correctly IMO if it is MEFI, is to connect a laptop with the appropriate program and run/record a test so that all the engine parameters can be monitored and analyzed in real time, a very useful diagnostic tool.

I will say , problems like this are hard to pinpoint, step by step is good and there is some good advice above here.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » December 6th, 2022, 3:00 pm

97 crusader xli's Mefi 1
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 6th, 2022, 10:23 pm

Ya that's why I asked for the model number and how many fuel filters there are. If the current owner hasn't replaced it, there's a good chance the Oberg is original from factory.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”