Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 6.5kw gas generator

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Franklt1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 35’ Carver Mariner

Kohler 6.5kw gas generator

Postby Franklt1 » February 6th, 2023, 4:57 pm

I have a Kohler generator and not getting fuel to the fuel filter. I have replaced all fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and main circuit board. also the remote switch does not work as well but did work before this issue. I have had a mechanic isolate the pump and use a gas can with about 5’ of line attached directly to the fuel pump and turns right over and runs. The run from my fuel tanks to the generator is about 10-15 feet. The board is not producing 12 volts when tested in the starting process and have seen in other forums that is an issue and that is why I replaced the board. I’m wondering if there could be an electrical issue somewhere else causing this like in the harnesses or something to do with the remote switch connection. Just would like some ideas.

Thank you
Tom

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Kohler 6.5kw gas generator

Postby bud37 » February 6th, 2023, 5:13 pm

Welcome to the forum......from my perspective your mechanic has just gravity fed the system which may not prove whether the pump actually works. Did he test the pump separately ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Franklt1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 35’ Carver Mariner

Postby Franklt1 » February 6th, 2023, 6:37 pm

Yes, he tested the pump alone and it ran fine he said.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 7th, 2023, 12:03 pm

Did he already eliminate the anti-siphon valve as a possible culprit?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 8th, 2023, 1:20 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Did he already eliminate the anti-siphon valve as a possible culprit?

That was my first thought when I read the OP’s post. I have a Kohler as well and when I started having problems, my mechanic pulled the anti-siphon valve to find it gunked up. Replaced it and all was good.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 9th, 2023, 9:03 am

Don't ask me how I know this, but the pump is polarity sensitive, and it can be plugged in with reverse polarity making the pump run, but run backwards and not pump any fuel.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”