Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

carver 350 aft cabin 454xl

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
First Mate
First Mate

carver 350 aft cabin 454xl

Postby ataylor233 » April 4th, 2023, 5:05 pm

does anyone have a manual for this engine ... its from 1993 its a crusader 454 with msts ... i may need to do some work on this it has an electric fuel pump and a carb ... id like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. for the manual.

i tried google but there are 50 million versions of this engine.

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Re: carver 350 aft cabin 454xl

Postby plittle2005 » April 4th, 2023, 7:27 pm

Try this link. I believe this is the manual you want if you have the carburetor engine.

https://www.silvertonclub.com/wp-conten ... Manual.pdf

Phil Little '92 350 AC

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 5th, 2023, 7:49 am

I'm not familiar with the MSTS system, but ran across these two posts.... which might help understand what the system is doing, and perhaps useful if trying to troubleshoot the system.

.the MSTS is just a simple ECU controlling a Delco Voyager (EST) distributor. The EST setup is used by many as a 'replacement' electronic system. So, you can eliminate the MSTS and just use the default advance curve in the EST module by just disconnecting the four wire connection at the distributor....if it runs ok, the long term fix would be to install a connector with the wires removed (or snipped and sealed to prevent shorts and corrosion) to keep the connector pins protected from the environment.

it was an early attempt at what became the spark control approach as in the MEFI-1 &-2 ECU's....If you disconnect the MSTS, what you lose is MAP & KNOCK sensor inputs to the spark advance curve - what you are left with is the default curve of the HEI module itself. The MAP sensor lets the MSTS module change the ignition timing based on perceived load and the KNOCK sensor tells MSTS if it has gone too far with the advance. These are just optimizations that should give a minor increases in efficiency

I'm not sure I'd recommend eliminating knock protection unless you're FULLY aware of the implications, but doing it for troubleshooting is not an issue.

source https://marineengine.com/boat-forum/thr ... ts.431839/

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 5th, 2023, 9:54 am

This link to a service manual should be a sticky IMO......thanks Phil

Is it possible Fred ??

https://www.silvertonclub.com/wp-conten ... Manual.pdf
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » April 5th, 2023, 7:04 pm

FWIW, I have had both EST spark modules fail last season, but fortunately the PO had left a new one on board. I bought 2 spares and sure enough the 2nd one failed. So now I'm paranoid and will always carry 2 new spares.

I found they are simple to replace, just pull the cap and then 2 screws hold it down. BE CAREFUL reinstalling the cap..screws are fine thread non-sae. Easy to cross thread. Don't ask how I know! Also make sure you use all the supplied silicone heat-transfer grease supplied with the module.

Failure symptom is cranking but no sputter or cough..just will not start. In both cases it ran fine until shutdown, and then failed to restart, no prior symptoms.

Advance setting procedure is covered in that manual I mentioned.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 6th, 2023, 7:27 am

plittle2005 wrote:Source of the post FWIW, I have had both EST spark modules fail last season, but fortunately the PO had left a new one on board. I bought 2 spares and sure enough the 2nd one failed. So now I'm paranoid and will always carry 2 new spares.

I found they are simple to replace, just pull the cap and then 2 screws hold it down. BE CAREFUL reinstalling the cap..screws are fine thread non-sae. Easy to cross thread. Don't ask how I know! Also make sure you use all the supplied silicone heat-transfer grease supplied with the module.

Failure symptom is cranking but no sputter or cough..just will not start. In both cases it ran fine until shutdown, and then failed to restart, no prior symptoms.

Advance setting procedure is covered in that manual I mentioned.

I'd be interesting to measure the temperature of the module after they've been running at cruise for a while, using a laser temp probe. Perhaps they're getting TOO hot and could use some additional cooling.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”