Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

When to replace manifolds and riser/elbows?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
PoppyTortuga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 356 with 8.1L Gi Volvo Pentas

Re: When to replace manifolds and riser/elbows?

Postby PoppyTortuga » April 12th, 2023, 4:20 pm

Quick update:
I just spoke with a Volvo mechanic and per the engine serial numbers my manifolds and risers are raw water fed, i.e., no coolant. His advice after hearing the story is for me to remove one riser from the manifold and do a visual check. In salt water he recommends replacement in 5-7 years. For fresh water and the unknowns as for how it was winterized over the years he felt it best to have me check one, just to see, before I do any long cruises. I agree. I'm not going anywhere for awhile (planned surgery) so I'll put it on my list of things to do. I'll update at that time.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Bob
MV Poppy Tortuga

Topic author United States of America
PoppyTortuga
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 356 with 8.1L Gi Volvo Pentas

Re: When to replace manifolds and riser/elbows?

Postby PoppyTortuga » April 12th, 2023, 4:22 pm

Quick update:
I just spoke with a Volvo mechanic and per the engine serial numbers my manifolds and risers are raw water fed, i.e., no coolant. His advice after hearing the story is for me to remove one riser from the manifold and do a visual check. In salt water he recommends replacement in 5-7 years. For fresh water and the unknowns as for how it was winterized over the years he felt it best to have me check one, just to see, before I do any long cruises. I agree. I'm not going anywhere for awhile (planned surgery) so I'll put it on my list of things to do. I'll update at that time.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Bob
MV Poppy Tortuga

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”