Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Not engaging into gear right away

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Lisasammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Santego 30

Not engaging into gear right away

Postby Lisasammy » August 7th, 2023, 7:17 pm

I have a 1990 Carver santego with twin volvo pentas. Shifting into neutral has always been tricky. It's almost like I have to shift past neutral first before it will go into neutral but I just got used to doing that. Now a new problem that just happened, is when going into reverse it didn't engage right away until I gave it more throttle then it made a loud slam into gear. The first time I noticed something wasn't right is when I was pulling in my slip and put the port engine into reverse, in and out quickly just to slow me down, and it didn't go into gear so I quickly through the starboard engine in reverse. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it could be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Lisa

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Not engaging into gear right away

Postby bud37 » August 7th, 2023, 8:20 pm

Welcome to the forum.......is this an outdrive boat ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Lisasammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lisasammy » August 7th, 2023, 10:10 pm

Hi, it's an I/O

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 8th, 2023, 7:13 am

More equipment info would help. Is it a Mercruiser, Volvo? What model sterndrive? If it's a Mercruiser, the most common culprit for both Alpha and Bravo drives is the lower shift cable. You can try adjusting but if it started off as a minor issue and getting progressively worse, it's a pretty good bet the cable needs to be replaced. Other possibilities are improper idle rpm, bad interrupt circuit/hardware (Alpha), bad remote/shifter, wrong gear lube, worn internal drive components, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 8th, 2023, 7:59 am

I think Lisa said they were volvo pentas if that helps....I have zero experience with them.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Lisasammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lisasammy » August 8th, 2023, 7:55 pm

Yes, they are volvo pentas. I'm wondering if the cables need tightened. Im hoping its nothing too serious. What other information would help?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 8th, 2023, 9:27 pm

Do you know the model and serial number of the drive? Volvo will have a single cable from the drive to the remote at the helm. Do you know if it has ever been changed? When was the last time the gear lube was checked/changed?

Lisasammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lisasammy » August 9th, 2023, 5:25 pm

Since I've owned it for 3 years the cable has not been changed. Gear lube checked beginning of season. Not at Boat to look up serial number. I don't seem to get as much speed full throttle as I did when first purchased. When it should be in neutral, it's still moving. I have to bump it past neutral then back in again to go into neutral, and now not engaging until giving more throttle.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 9th, 2023, 8:40 pm

Sounds like something is either loose, or a cable is stretched.

Lisasammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lisasammy » August 9th, 2023, 8:48 pm

I'll check the cables and see if that helps. Thank you

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”