Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Repower 1999 350 Mariner

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Repower 1999 350 Mariner

Postby bud37 » October 9th, 2023, 10:00 am

The OP here has a unique problem, he says he has no reliable mechanical support for gasoline engines regarding rebuilding etc., so no matter what, you will always be in the same boat so to speak if that is the case.

Honestly, I would be concerned that there is not much wrong with the engine. How was it diagnosed ?

I believe in that geographical area it may be almost all diesel, so perhaps that may be an option as well. No matter what it will be costly, but that is boating as I remember it.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United Arab Emirates
dlldxb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 350 Mariner

Postby dlldxb » October 24th, 2023, 2:09 am

UPDATE, for those following at home. First of all electrification ruled out. Heat here is an issue with batteries and the battery technology isn't quite there for a boat this size.

Now down to repower options. In this market, Mercrusier is the best option for support and parts. As all the crusader guys slap their forehead, that's the reality. In that space, 2 options. 1st. 2 each Complete new engines, Mercruiser 6.2 350HP with ZF-68IV 4" CC with new controls, and remote systems monitor. Installed (dealer handles shipping) USD60K total.

2nd repower option. New Quicksilver 383 Bravo bobtail, using my Velvet drives and bell housing and controls. 2 engines Installed USD40K. But I am told these engines in future could be parts issue as well. Also, there could be additional costs discovered during the install since mating to exiting running gear.

With first one it will be basically a new boat, as 2 years ago we redid all the upholstery and canvas and the boat otherwise is in very good shape. The downside is it is a 24 year old boat in a market that only looks at age, as I ran into that this year renewing insurance. required a survey. I am assuming this is an ongoing cost each year so add USD500 to annual premium.

The only upside is that the boat market here is very overpriced. I could not replace this boat for under USD400K, so I am hoping that if i do sell in future I can at least recover the repower costs.

Availability is out to end 1st quarter next year for option 1. Shipping crusader engine here with shipping costs was very close to the 2nd option but no local support.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 24th, 2023, 12:33 pm

Interesting info, amazing differences in values across the world. How many hours on your current engine/v drive package and do the drives leak at the output shaft now ( do you see oil spray in the bilge) ?

Maybe consider diesel as a repower option , again I guess the issue would be the same having to get things engineered and installed whereas the packages are a nut and bolt change for the most part or so they say.. :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”