Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Repower 1999 350 Mariner

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United Arab Emirates
dlldxb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 350 Mariner

Repower 1999 350 Mariner

Postby dlldxb » October 7th, 2023, 1:52 am

Hi,

I am overseas, so access to skilled service is limited. Looking for advice based on forums experience. I have a 1999 350 Mariner with twin Crusader 5.7 MPI V drive. Port engine seized. I had someone take for me to get registration done and assuming after that last run, something leaked and due to my travel schedule wasn't discovered until return and found would not turn over. FWC reservoir dry. I spoke with the shop manager at the marina I usually do my haul outs at about rebuild and repair. His comeback was startling, he didn't have any skilled petrol engine mechanics and he couldn't recommend anyone in the local market he would trust. So I am faced with either a rebuild, getting a base engine and bolting on 24 year old components, or buying 6L crusader complete drop in (I am told 5.7MPI no longer available, so latter means 2 engines). The 6L is certainly an upgrade with added FWC also to the manifolds, but do i want to spend 16K time 2 on 24 year old boat. Ordering a base engine opens up a pandora box of finding other issues with bolt on parts and availability in an area where I have been warned of lack of skill.

Note, the boat was originally on a lake, so the FWC was added after by Florida dealer, so no factory FWC. Otherwise condition of the boat is excellent.

Has anyone re-powered this era of Mariner with the newer 6L? any fit issues? I assume that crusader to crusader will have some common connections, wiring harness etc.

appreciate any feedback Thanks

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Repower 1999 350 Mariner

Postby Cooler » October 7th, 2023, 8:59 am

You should be able to purchase a 5.7 from an engine rebuilder. It would come as a short block, meaning just engine and no components, or a long block, which means includes components and is ready to just drop in. Will be much less than new engine, and an exact fit. Reach out to Crusader, or a dealer in your area, to get help with locating a rebuilt engine. They normally come with a guarantee of some sort. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 7th, 2023, 9:10 am

First thing, how are you sure the engine is no good ?

The 6.0 is the same basic engine as the 5.7, just internal, these boats came with a few different engine options so fit should be no issue, maybe a few minor things to engineer....you will need the ecu for the engine you choose though. If you decide, the entire package including trans/v drive gear case would be the way to go if you can afford that.

Who will do the repower work for you ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

dlldxb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dlldxb » October 7th, 2023, 9:38 am

Cooler wrote:You should be able to purchase a 5.7 from an engine rebuilder. It would come as a short block, meaning just engine and no components, or a long block, which means includes components and is ready to just drop in. Will be much less than new engine, and an exact fit. Reach out to Crusader, or a dealer in your area, to get help with locating a rebuilt engine. They normally come with a guarantee of some sort. Good luck! 8-) er

Thanks, but the issue is no local dealers. Anything I get will be shipped from USA. I'll reach out to Crusader, but their website looked like it was not attended.

dlldxb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dlldxb » October 7th, 2023, 9:42 am

Main issue is I cant find a reputable shop, and the marina I trust would not recommend anyone locally as he said none were reputable. They can handle the repower if it's a drop in, they just don't have the techs to troubleshoot a gas engine. Ideally I would live a local teardown and rebuild of existing engine.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 7th, 2023, 12:06 pm

I would think going the short block route would be the most cost-effective. I can't imagine shipping would add too much to the cost, but it would take longer because it would have to go by freighter.

Here is one such source:
https://www.michiganmotorz.com/

They even tout "We ship parts and engines worldwide!" (although with a caveat of " **MERCURY BRAND ITEMS CAN ONLY BE SOLD AND SHIPPED TO ADDRESSES WITHIN THE UNITED STATES.", but I don't think that's an issue in this case)

dlldxb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dlldxb » October 7th, 2023, 11:50 pm

OK, I am going to make a wild tangent here. Last night after going online looking for rebuilds, all of which will require international shipping, I came across some electric conversions. Trade the gas tanks for batteries, batteries in the center between the stringers and engine and trans replaces with electric motor direct connect to V drive? Every boat slip already has a charging station, the power riser. And in my case we only do local coastal cruises to anchorage. Not ideal for everyone but in my scenario, I'll at lest look at cost comparison. Hmmmm

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 8th, 2023, 8:23 am

dlldxb wrote:Source of the post I came across some electric conversions.

Now that would be interesting, there are some big boats being made that are a sort of hybrid...Greenline comes to mind. Good luck and let us know what you find.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 8th, 2023, 1:12 pm

If you're just going to use it as a trawler, and don't intend on very long distance voyages, then a conversion might make sense. Otherwise it's just a academic exercise.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 9th, 2023, 5:44 am

Yes, communication with Crusader can be challenging. The one time I needed some info from them, they ran the coomunication through a nearest dealer, which was a few hundred miles from me. That electric conversion sounds interesting, but the cost is going to be surprising. If you continue in that direction, let us know! Good luck. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”