Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1984 Crusader 350 - Spark Plug Recommendations

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
JeffandErin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

1984 Crusader 350 - Spark Plug Recommendations

Postby JeffandErin » October 8th, 2023, 5:56 pm

New to me 1984 3607 AC. Did my annual maintenance and replaced the spark plugs. Based upon recommendations I put in Champion RV12YC plugs
What I pulled out were Champion RV8C plugs - put in by PO

The RV8Cs were pretty black (of course, I have no idea how long there installed.

So, what are your recommendations?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1984 Crusader 350 - Spark Plug Recommendations

Postby km1125 » October 8th, 2023, 11:39 pm

I think I ran the RV12YC in mine most of the time. The last few years I used the ACDelco R43TS or R44TS (can't remember which).

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 9th, 2023, 5:54 am

I have used MR43T's for years. Always happy with those. The manual for my 350XL's specs out MR43T, MR44T, or RV8C. The gap is disclosed as .045. Most stock plugs come gapped at .035, so need some adjustment there. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 9th, 2023, 9:33 am

JeffandErin wrote:Source of the post The RV8Cs were pretty black (of course, I have no idea how long there installed.

I wouldn't base any decisions as to heat range based on those plugs being black if that is what you are inferring. You really can't take a definitive plug reading on an older carbed engine that has been just idling around.

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Most stock plugs come gapped at .035, so need some adjustment there

Cooler your engines are much newer with a different ignition system I think, unless the ops have been upgraded.

These kind of spark plugs are fairly cheap, so very good to change regularly. Good job keeping up with the maintenance.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”