Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1984 Crusader 350 - Remote Fuel Filter replacement?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
JeffandErin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

1984 Crusader 350 - Remote Fuel Filter replacement?

Postby JeffandErin » October 8th, 2023, 7:13 pm

My Crusaders have the AC remote Fuel Filter Assemblies as described on page 7-6 of the Service Manual. Pic attached.
What the manual does not tell me is a part number to purchase the replacement filters.
I dont want to pull the cannister off to ttry to ID the filter - that will be my last option.

Hoping someone on this forum has the same engine / setup and can tell me what you filter you purchase / use to replace them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Re: 1984 Crusader 350 - Remote Fuel Filter replacement?

Postby plittle2005 » October 8th, 2023, 8:15 pm

I believe this takes a Fram CG20. Google source, Amazon has them or any auto parts store.

You will have to remove existing element and visually compare. This is best done with a standard filter strap wrench. They can get quite tight, lubricate the gasket with motor oil when reinstalling.

However, they are not good for water separation. You should install a separator kit such as easily found on Amazon.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 8th, 2023, 11:35 pm

I agree with plittle, I think they are CG20. However, also inspect that "can" when opening to replace the element. The "can" will rust if you get the plating scratched and can rust from the inside too.

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » October 9th, 2023, 8:27 pm

The can is aluminum, and some water can pool in the bottom, and they will not rust. But inspect several times a season for this water, and always put a little motor oil on the gasket o-ring.

However, they are not real water-separating filters. An aftermarket kit can easily be installed and give much better protection. ALL fuel has some water mixed in with it, from the marina tanks and your deck fitting leakage.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 9th, 2023, 11:55 pm

Some might be aluminum, but mine were definitely steel. The ones I originally replaced and the replacements I purchased. One that I took off definitely had rusted to the point I was concerned it was going to leak gas.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 10th, 2023, 7:02 am

Sierra makes a replacement element for that filter assembly.....# 18-7862
They also sell a kit that includes the element and the canister....# 18-7861

There may be an aluminum canister assembly out there but every one I've seen so far is just a coated metal. I've replaced quite a few that have rusted over the years. BTW, the Crusader OEM unit is not aluminum, but they were typically painted blue. Look at the other side of the label (English) on that canister in the pic, it tells you to replace the canister every year because it could rust and leak fuel.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 10th, 2023, 10:00 am

JeffandErin wrote:Source of the post My Crusaders have the AC remote Fuel Filter Assemblies as described on page 7-6 of the Service Manual. Pic attached.
What the manual does not tell me is a part number to purchase the replacement filters.
I dont want to pull the cannister off to ttry to ID the filter - that will be my last option.

Hoping someone on this forum has the same engine / setup and can tell me what you filter you purchase / use to replace them

If you plan on keeping the boat, my advice would be to install a Racor/or the like, water separating filter system on each engine....it will be expensive but worth it in the long run.

See there I go spending money that is not mine.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”