Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1999 Dual 454 with Mefi 3 ECM - Master/Slave relationship

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

1999 Dual 454 with Mefi 3 ECM - Master/Slave relationship

Postby kgarguilo » December 13th, 2023, 5:20 pm

Hello all, in my checking of actual engine hours using my Rinda software vs the Helm Hour analog gauges that are not 100% accurate. I noticed that both engines come up as "Master" and NOT as ("Master"/"Slave") on the bottom left of the screen when communicating with the engine. Is this an issue or a non-issue? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Information of Vessel:
1999 Carver 406
Engine Starboard Mercruiser 7.4L MPI MIE V-8 gasoline naturally aspirated engine - 330hp SN- 0L303931
Engine Port Mercruiser 7.4L MPI MIE V-8 gasoline naturally aspirated engine - 330hp SN- 0L303934

MEFI 3 ECM on each Engine

I found this text in a publication named
"MerCruiser EFI Engine History and Major Changes"
"The engine control module (ECM) on all 1996 and newer model year EFI engines has the
“Power Reduction Mode” disabled. Because of this change, it is important that 1995 (and
older) models not be intermixed with 1996 (and newer) models on multiple engine boats. It
is important that all of the engines in a boat have either the power reduction mode enabled
or disabled, but not a combination of both.
The 3-pin Master/Slave connector and the 2-pin Safety Lanyard Stop Circuit connector have
been removed on some 1996 and newer MEFI 1 models and all MEFI 2 and MEFI 3 models.

On these newer models, if the Master/Slave functions are desired, it is necessary to build a
custom data link harness and connect it between the DLC connectors on the engines. The
serial data terminal (Pin G, orange [or orange/black] lead) on the data link connector
(DLC) of both engines must be connected together and the master/slave terminal (Pin
H, yellow lead) on the Slave engine’s DLC must be grounded.
"

I read this as Master / Master is OK
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 1999 Dual 454 with Mefi 3 ECM - Master/Slave relationship

Postby g36 » December 13th, 2023, 5:44 pm

I wouldn't think it's a issue. My 405 is mefi 1 and I disconnected this wire when I installed my fox mefi gateways on my crusaders.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 13th, 2023, 8:26 pm

kgarguilo wrote:Source of the post ....I noticed that both engines come up as "Master" and NOT as ("Master"/"Slave")....Is this an issue or a non-issue? ....
I strongly doubt it would be an issue. Do you have Smartcraft?

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Postby kgarguilo » December 13th, 2023, 8:46 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
kgarguilo wrote:Source of the post ....I noticed that both engines come up as "Master" and NOT as ("Master"/"Slave")....Is this an issue or a non-issue? ....
I strongly doubt it would be an issue. Do you have Smartcraft?

No, all manual controls. One day soon, I will add Fox Marine Mefi 3 nmea2000 interfaces for my Garmin 8612. That is as fancy as I will get on this boat.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”