Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Oil send unit - Physical location on a 1999 Mercury 454

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Oil send unit - Physical location on a 1999 Mercury 454

Postby kgarguilo » February 27th, 2024, 5:16 pm

Hello all, I have scoured this site and others and found no info on the actual physical location of the oil send unit for my Mercury 7.4L MPI MIE V-8 gasoline naturally aspirated engine - 330hp SN- 0L303931 & 34 with Velvet Drive Transmissions, Model 20-01-005 direct drive - 2.455:1 ratio.

I will go again tomorrow and search for the units as I am adding an additional oil send unit for my Fox Marine Mefi 3 engine gateways. In looking through the service manual Mercury 90-861326-01. I do not see a pictural view that shows the location either. I will try going page by page tonight but thought maybe someone on here may know exactly where it is at.

Once done I will write it up as a project to share. I already have the Engines connected and templates programed on my Garmin 8612 vsx. Looking forward to wrapping this project up. Thanks in advance.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Oil send unit - Physical location on a 1999 Mercury 454

Postby bud37 » February 27th, 2024, 6:50 pm

Have a look, back of block top, near the distributor. May have to move some harness to see.

You are asking about the sender and not the low pressure switch ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby kgarguilo » February 27th, 2024, 6:58 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Have a look, back of block top, near the distributor. May have to move some harness to see.

You are asking about the sender and not the low pressure switch ?

KG Thanks Bud, I will look in the morning and let you know. Yes, the pressure sender to the guage. Fox Marine supplies a TEE so there oil pressure switch can be added to read on the mefi 3 gateway.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby kgarguilo » February 28th, 2024, 10:06 am

I looked this morning and see a switch in the location behind and port side of the distributer as you suggested and disconnected the light blue wire that goes to it, started the engine and the oil pressure gauge still works, is something else feeding that gauge?
[image]
Oil pressure switch.jpg
[/image]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 28th, 2024, 10:51 am

I think you found the switch......look for something that looks something like this.....I am not sure then where exactly that sender is , sorry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby kgarguilo » March 1st, 2024, 2:26 pm

bud37 wrote:I think you found the switch......look for something that looks something like this.....I am not sure then where exactly that sender is , sorry

For future reference, here is where the oil pressure switch is located. A shout out to Alan at Fox Marine and some videos and pics online that helped to find it. The guidance I received from Alan was, it should be on the port side of the engine and almost at the back and then I found this picture. Note, it was hard to see as when they sprayed the engine black at the factory I guess, they also sprayed the oil pressure switch making it hard to see as it was covered by wire harnesses.
image003.png

FYI I am doing a video on the install and will supply a link once it is completed.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”