Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3.8 liter Crusader Engine - Parts-Replacement-Availability

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
PCOMT
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "BRAKSPEAR"
1981 3007 Aft Cabin

3.8 liter Crusader Engine - Parts-Replacement-Availability

Postby PCOMT » July 4th, 2014, 7:13 am

I am considering a purchase of a 1981 3007 aft cabin with 3.8 liter twins.
The engine hours are unknown:
Broker's Quote: "Unfortunately I have little idea of hours on the engines and the owner doesn't appear to have much of an idea either but the Hobbs meters indicate more hours than these engines physically show so I am guessing that at some stage, they have been rebuilt."

The boat looks good but my concern is with the older engines and finding replacement parts and the whole engine, if necessary. It looks like these engines will be hard to find parts for. I have done some searching online and find very little reference to them. I have not found a place to purchase new engines.

If the mechanical inspection is acceptable, I would expect at least several years of use, then, if an engine replacement is needed, I may have to repower with a different model engine. I suspect we would want to stay with gasoline engines.

I have seen a lot of reference to the 4.3 crusader engine. This is a V6 as well and there appears to be easy access to this model. I am hoping that the physical size difference would not be big enough to cause issues with engine room space. I assume that both engines are Chevy, the transmission would bolt up the same.

*Has anyone on this forum repowered a 3007?
    *If so, what did you repower with?
    *How did it go?
    *Any recommendations?

Thanks
Peter

Retired, but not tired, Looking forward to getting out there!

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: 3.8 liter Crusader Engine - Parts-Replacement-Availabili

Postby Lyndon670 » July 4th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Peter,

My opinion would be to move on. I can't imagine any reason, even if I was given a free boat, to do a repower on a 35 year old boat. You would never get your money back, not to mention the headache/hassle that always happens with a repower. If you look at your final cost after repower, you cold have bought newer/bigger.

JMHO!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author Canada
PCOMT
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "BRAKSPEAR"
1981 3007 Aft Cabin

Re: 3.8 liter Crusader Engine - Parts-Replacement-Availabili

Postby PCOMT » August 26th, 2014, 9:07 am

Thanks Lyndon, Your logic is spot on, I would not buy an old boat that I had to repower right away.

My original question was "if" it needed to be repowered. The mechanical inspection and compression test were acceptable. The engines start easily and "purr" along. The mechanic stated that they were newer engines than the boat. There is no way to tell how new, but he felt they were replaced in the last 5-10 years. (Of course, that is just talk, who really knows when?)

We purchased the boat and have played around a bit, no long trips yet, but we will putting some hours in over the next few months. I expect a few issues, but hopefully, not serious engine problems.

I appreciate your feedback and advice, keep it coming!
Peter

Retired, but not tired, Looking forward to getting out there!

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”