Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Transmission problems.

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
David M.
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 45 Voyager "No Worries"

Transmission problems.

Postby David M. » May 28th, 2018, 12:17 am

Help! My wife and I just recently purchased a 2000 Carver 45 voyager with twin 480 Penta Volvos. I had the boat out and was experiencing a delay in the forward engagement of the port Trans, approximately 12-15 seconds. After a short while, while returning to dock. I lost all forward power in that Trans. Reverse still works fine. I would like to trouble shoot this issue before calling a mechanic. Any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Transmission problems.

Postby mjk1040 » May 28th, 2018, 2:15 am

DM; Afraid your issue may be an internal problem and the transmission is going to have to be pulled and rebuilt. Do not think its going to be an in boat repair. You may be able to locate a rebuilt one and do a swap out to shorten your down time. Or send yours out to be rebuilt, but in the peak of the season, down time could be weeks to months! IMO.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » May 28th, 2018, 5:04 am

Sounds similar to a problem I had year before last. In my case the clutches fused but fortunately in my case it was in forward. I was able to make it home but the port transmission required a rebuild. Obviously it will have to be looked at. It could be something simple but most likely a rebuild will be needed.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 28th, 2018, 8:08 am

Welcome to the forum.....the one easy thing for you would be to check the trans fluid levels in both trans( port and stbd ) and compare the look and smell of the fluid in the good one against the troubled one....there should be instructions for that in your manual.........hopefully and I say hopefully it will just be fluid level.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 28th, 2018, 8:51 am

I would definitely check the linkage and make sure that the valve is getting fully moved to "fwd" and "rev" before I did anything else (except, maybe, checking the fluid levels). Could be something as easy as the linkage having some loose connections and getting sloppy and not making it all the way into forward gear.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 28th, 2018, 9:34 am

Welcome aboard David.

I agree with all the above. I don't recall what was used in that vintage but it could also be an electrical and or valving issue. A lot of transmission manufacturers have been using electric trolling shift valves for some time. This can be checked without removing the transmission. Check the simple things noted above first, and if yours incorporates electric valves, don't let anyone tell you it's an internal issue unless they check valve operation first or it'll be a very expensive oversight. Keep us posted.

PS; Does your boat have a trolling option, and if so, is it off/dissengaged?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 28th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Info off the transmission would help, like make, model, serial number. There may also be a label on the engine that has Volvo numbers for the transmission.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm

David, did you get anywhere with this?

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”