Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

12D EDC/ TAMD 75 Advice

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

12D EDC/ TAMD 75 Advice

Postby Carpediem » April 16th, 2019, 10:51 am

We are looking at two 564s, one with 1400 hrs on Volvo 12D EDCs and one with 800 hrs on TAMD 75s. We will be doing primarily bay and delta cruising with rare short trips down the pacific coast. I am selling my Searay with Cummins 8.3 QSC 500 HDs which I operated and self maintained some 300 hrs over the past four years and have been very happy and comfortable with. I have no experience with the Volvo Diesels though and am looking for any advice on the two options.
Thanks
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Re: 12D EDC/ TAMD 75 Advice

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » April 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Hello. Looks like you have a serious power difference between the two packages. I'm assuming the D12 is around 700 horse? The D12 is also a common-rail motor, which will burn considerably cleaner than the TAMD. I have TAMD 122's in my boat. Lots of cold start smoke. Both are great Motors either way. Dave

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”