Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Failure Woe’s

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Engine Failure Woe’s

Postby 650Guy » July 20th, 2021, 9:59 am

So just went on a little trip around Lake Erie, St Clair and a little into Lake Huron. On the journey one of my partners in a 2005 444My with Volvo engines ran into some trouble:

1st issue: Lost Port engine limped in to port on one. After about an hour at the dock, port engine started. The thought was he had a bad ignition switch and it was replaced.

We departed the next day, do a quick 2 hour leg and worked great.

Next day off on a bit longer leg, but about 2-3 hours in…

2nd Issue: Lost Starboard engine … Followed by Port Engine… followed by Genny…

Was towed into port this time and after an hour or so all engines started fine.

Next Morning: We do a 3 hour leg back to home port and all engines operated normally.

I’m trying to help him narrow down the issue, I’m leaning toward a common grounding bus issue? MAYBE bad fuel? But the RACOR’s look clean and happy.

Anything else you all would recommend looking at? Because its intermittent its so hard

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Engine Failure Woe’s

Postby km1125 » July 20th, 2021, 11:41 am

Have the tank vents been checked?

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » July 20th, 2021, 6:07 pm

We have not checked those! That’s a good suggestion! Thank you

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 22nd, 2021, 7:15 am

I agree with checking the tank vents.

Typically the generator will be hooked up directly to it's own battery with no buss bar so I suspect it's not a common ground issue though it doesn't hurt to confirm all battery connections are solid. When you say the Racors look clean, are you just looking at the bowls or were the elements pulled and inspected? When was the last time they were replaced? How is the vessel used, might there be a lot of growth in the fuel/tanks from little use or old fuel?

Did the engines lose rpm, cough and spit before quitting, or did they just suddenly shut down with no prior symptoms?

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » July 22nd, 2021, 7:40 am

Man… GREAT questions!!!!!

Boat is used regularly probably 70-80 hours/Season

Bowls are cleaned and inspected at the end of each
season, right now I’m just using the site glass as my gauge. Not sure when they were replaced but filters with both replaced about 10 hrs ago.

When shutting down:

Each would begin to spool down and sputter as they died.

In regards to the batteries. We did tighten all connections prior to departing on the last leg. None were what I would consider “loose” but with effort I was able to tighten a couple of the connections.

So far We have not found a “smoking gun”. Nothing stands out at me as an issue.

Any suggestions on how to test/check the tank vents?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 22nd, 2021, 10:50 pm

650Guy wrote:Source of the post..... Each would begin to spool down and sputter as they died......

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Given that it's happening from both tanks, the vents are definitely suspect. You can try blowing air through the lines but the screen on the hull fitting might not let what ever is in there to escape. And it's also not a good idea to blow it toward the tank either with the line still hooked up there. The best thing to do is to disconnect the vent line at the tank and blow air from from the thru-hull fitting end, you may be able to do that without removing the hose from the fitting by doing it through the fitting outside the hull. The other thing you could try is going for a similar run but undo the fuel deck fill caps. If the engines don't quit, this will confirm that it's a venting problem.

Look closer at the bottom of the Racor bowls and look for water. Also ensure air filter are clean.

The anti-siphon valves are suspect as well if venting is proven not to be the problem.

Also, what position are your fuel selector valves in? Hopefully they're set so each engine is running off its own tank. That wouldn't explain the generator issue unless it's drawing from the same pickup as one of the engines but that would not be the usual/factory setup. You never know what a previous owner might have done though so it's worth exploring.

Is there an auxiliary tank/s and if so, check if the selector valves are set to it or the main tanks.

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » August 5th, 2021, 11:16 am

Took some digging but this seems to be the final cause:

Fireboy. In the second picture you can see the water sitting in the cover. The inside was very corroded. It took six hours for us to finally get to that cause. We called fireboy and talked to a technician who corroborated the potential issue (one side can be shut down without the other side being shut down). So we took it apart and found the water issue. Now I need to stop water from getting in there. Also getting a new fireboy installed next week.

I hope this helps someone else down the road! To be honest, the fireboy was not even crossing my mind as to be the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 5th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Is that the control for the fire-suppression system? That can shutdown the mains? Seems like that would be a dangerous combo, rather than just provide you the info (that you have a fire) and allow you to make the decision to shut down engine(s). Did that one control box affect both engines or was there a similar box for the other engine?

650Guy
First Mate
First Mate
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » August 5th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Great questions!!!

1) Yep, the idea is that if there is a fire detected it shuts off fuel to prevent the spread of the fire, or at least that is my understanding.
    2) Yep, it is a single box that controls both engines(and generator)

If you go to FireBoy's website they actually note: WARNING: Diesel-powered craft require installation of an Engine Shutdown System

https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/ma2-fire-extinguisher/

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 5th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Thanks for posting the end result.....those things have been the cause of no starts before......but you had the intermittent shut downs.....good catch.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”