Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo TAMD 75P Transmission engages by itself

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
Ernie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 466 with Volvo engines.

Postby Ernie » September 20th, 2015, 5:39 pm

I have a 2003 466 Carver with Volvo Pena engines and transmissions. While idling the starboard engine will engage. So far the boat has been secured at the dock when this occurs except once while waiting for the fuel dock she started going in circles until i shut the engine off. When it occurs the shifter will move into forward and reverse but the boat only has forward motion until is shut the engine off. I am not sure if this is an engine or transmission issue.

Has anyone had this issue and how to resolve it. I have had two Volvo certified dealers working on it for three months and the season is almost over. Trying to have one month on the water where I control the boat.... Any one with helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Volvo TAMD 75P Transmission engages by itself

Postby Lyndon670 » September 24th, 2015, 1:48 pm

I would suggest that it is the electronic control module (EDC). If you google it, you will find instances of exactly what you describe - and it's not specific to Volvo. It appears that the root cause seems to be a voltage drop or resistance that doesn't compute. Everything I read about it before I purchased my 506 was that the most common denominator and root cause seemed to leaded back to faulty/corroded/or loose battery terminals. My Volvo tech was aware of the issues and we relaxed all my batteries and all of the cable ends.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

cjg1957
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 466 hardtop

Re: Volvo TAMD 75P Transmission engages by itself

Postby cjg1957 » November 26th, 2015, 10:44 am

Goto http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na ... gines.aspx
Enter your serial number of the engines and it should let you know of any recalls that may be outstanding. I bought a 2006 4666 and found out that the engine missed one of the recalls. There was a specific recall regarding the boat shifting into gear on its own. good Luck.

Papua New Guinea
PNGTaubada
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 466 MY 2002

Postby PNGTaubada » December 28th, 2015, 8:11 am

Hi Ernie, yes I confirm that your boat may be subject to a recall. In my case (and probably yours) it was a simple upgrade to the wiring behind the shift function lever. In saying that however, I had troubles with the upgrade and reverted back to the non-upgrade. I don't have a capable Volvo mechanic on hand where my vessel is so I am yet to get to the bottom of it - may have to fly someone in. In the meantime I am always at the helm when the boat is idling. And I have intermittent problems with port forward not engaging or long delay in engaging - a problem I have yet to resolve.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”