Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta TAMD 74P EDC Long Delay in Engaging

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Papua New Guinea
PNGTaubada
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 466 MY 2002

Postby PNGTaubada » December 28th, 2015, 8:36 am

Hi Carver owners,

I have a 2002 466MY with twin Volvo TAMD 74P-As - although the blocks say TAMD75P - can't work that one out since a serialisation search confirms they are 74P-As. Anyway, these have an EDC system installed.

I had a mechanic fix a problem with the starboard forward not engaging. Dammit he showed me how he fixed this but I cannot recall exactly what he did. My problem now though is that the port forward thrust is taking 30 seconds or so before it engages.

Would anyone have a clue on how I can fix this? Port astern and the starboard ahead and astern thrusts have the normal one second delay before engaging the props.

Unfortunately where the vessel is now there are no VP certified mechanics. So any help or a point in the right direction would be well received.

Raymond

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » December 29th, 2015, 8:58 am

The timing on the EDC control can be adjusted, but 30 seconds is telling me that something else is wrong. Is it truly 30 seconds or does it "feel" like 30 seconds?

The solenoid (actuator) on the transmission could be bad - I would consider switching the port solenoid to the starboard solenoid and seeing if the problem migrates as well.

The other thing to check - the transmission fluid. Being hydraulic, if it is low(er) on fluid it will take longer for the pressure to build - hence longer to move.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

PNGTaubada
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby PNGTaubada » December 29th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Hi and thank you for your advice Lyndon,

It was truly 30 seconds. But I was also having a problem following the instructions in the manual to re-calibrate the EDC; very ambiguous reading. Anyway I managed to get a hold of another manual which I followed and successfully re-calibrated. This didn't fix it but reduced the delay from 30 seconds down to about 8 seconds. The port-astern and starboard thrusts have the normal one second delay. EDC error reading is 1.1 which is okay.

How exactly do you adjust the timing on the EDC control? I tried to find this in the manual to no avail.

Many thanks, Raymond

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » December 29th, 2015, 10:19 pm

I think I have the instructions somewhere in my office Raymond let me see if I can dig them up. I believe there are set screws on the potentiometer in the base that can be adjusted.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

PNGTaubada
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby PNGTaubada » December 30th, 2015, 1:38 am

Ahh, this must be what the mechanic adjusted last time. If you could let me know that would be awesome. Also where the potentiometer is located as I tried to find where he did this but couldn't locate. I note that I have the same engines that you have. Best regards, Raymond

PNGTaubada
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Volvo Penta TAMD 74P EDC Long Delay in Engaging

Postby PNGTaubada » February 7th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Hi Lyndon, found the problem - thanks for your help

deenbob1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby deenbob1 » February 8th, 2016, 10:44 am

Can you tell us what you found and how you fixed your problem? Everyone learns when we share our problems and solutions.

Always include pictures if possible. They really help!

PNGTaubada
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby PNGTaubada » February 29th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Hi and yes,

There was a leak in the transmission oil cooler but I didn't detect it at first because it was small, but eventually I found a build up of oil in the bilge. I checked the transmission oil dip stick and sure enough it was low. After getting the water cooler fixed by a radiator expert, I topped up the transmission oil and all was sweet. Bottom line is that the transmission does not engage with low oil or with low oil pressure.

Cheers, Raymond
Oil Leak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Seaquestered
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Voyager 530 2 X Volvo 480hp
I just bought her July 2014 in New England and will be taking her to Florida to be shipped to the west coast

Postby Seaquestered » April 8th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Hi Lyndon, I'm seeing about a 1.5 - 2 sec delay when I shift gears. I've also heard there is some adjustment settings, but so far I can't find anything. Do you still have the instructions or a link that has it posted somewhere? I would like to have more immediate response.

Thanks
Seaquestered
2001 Voyager 530
Volvo TAMD74 480hp ea
Marina del Rey, CA

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » April 8th, 2017, 6:19 pm

I never did dig them up as I though you had fixed the problem. I will dig them up for you next weekend as I'll be up at my boat.

That being said - 1.5 seconds is perfect. You won't get much better than that, as that is exactly what mine is.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”