Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Need Volvo diesel tech advice, elecric and mechanical

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
Neptune36
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Need Volvo diesel tech advice, elecric and mechanical

Postby Neptune36 » September 4th, 2016, 9:19 am

I am in the midst of buying a 2007 41CMY with Volvo D6 370's. Under 500 hrs. She's been on brackish and fresh water. The vessel doesn't have a ton of electronics on it which I don't mind. I'm not paying for something I will replace anyway. Being a novice to diesels, however I'd like to have diagnostics display such as the EVC to be installed which will show status and codes then perhaps if possible I'd like to run data from through NMEA2000 to a raymarine or similar display. Is all this possible? Do the LCD windows on the tachs have codes or only hours? I downloaded the D6 manual and it doesn't have much information on retrofits or what displays give the codes. Actually I need to locate a knowledgeable and available Volvo tech in the north Georgia Area. Not easy to find apparently. Also could use the advice of experience in this forum. Any help with part or all the above?

United States of America
jspin101
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 41 CMY w/ 2006 Volvo D6 370I-B's

Re: Need Volvo diesel tech advice, elecric and mechanical

Postby jspin101 » November 4th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Have you received any info on this.
I just bought a 41 CMY and seem to have the same question.
Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 4th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Don't know what tachs are involved here so difficult to say whether they will display anything other than engine hours. Pretty sure there are interfaces available for the D6 to NMEA 2000 network. I know there is for Raymarine and I think Garmin as well.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 5th, 2018, 5:10 am

Luckily mine came with the EVC displays. They are ridiculously priced as a replacement is $1750 US each plus you would need a bunch of "special" wiring and maybe some programming so my ballpark guess would be 5-6,000 US installed! I do have the converter to NMEA connected to my Raymarine plotter which converts the info so it can be seen on the plotter as digital gauges. Not sure if you have to have EVC enabled to be able to use this or not. In my case I was able to daisy chain from existing wiring behind the dash. Definitely need to consult with a specialized Volvo electronics wizz on this before jumping in. http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=8883

By the way, you need a converter/engine
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”