Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Seawater impellar replacement Kohler

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
Tomion
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 530

Seawater impellar replacement Kohler

Postby Tomion » January 15th, 2017, 11:23 pm

impellar.jpeg

I struggled for an hour trying to put new impellar in seawater pump today and then used a hose clamp to bend the blades around the hub enough to get started into pump housing. The keyway was still a bear to keep in place while inserting the impellar but some good light to line up impellar with key finally paid off. Have no idea how one would get impellar installed with pump on motor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Seawater impellar replacement Kohler

Postby Midnightsun » January 16th, 2017, 7:13 am

I have changed quite a few over the years in various units. A little tricky the first time but if you lube it up (I use silicone lube) and then the twist and push technique, it should install quite easily. Do not use oil or grease as they can cause swelling of the impeller, dishwashing soap also works well.

Found this which shows how easily it is done.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 16th, 2017, 8:45 am

I've been doing it all wrong all these years, I see now to make it easier, I should have been removing the generator and doing it on the bench :-O ;-) I can do it in a suit and tie that way :-D It's definitely a different experience trying to do it in the boat as I'm sure we're all aware, especially if you're working blind because you can't get in front of it to see what you're doing. Came close to removing some generators myself just for an impeller change. Oh the joy, the excitement of working on boats :banghead:

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » January 16th, 2017, 1:46 pm

On my Carver I sit comfortably between the 2 engines and stare at the impeller in my face. Joy to work on. My previous boat was a real PITA due to placement.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 16th, 2017, 10:24 pm

on my 355 its also very easy to change. About 30 minutes including a 10 minute beer break. One of few items with easy access.

Topic author
Tomion
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Tomion » February 3rd, 2017, 12:25 am

Unfortunately my pump is in an awkward position to replace impellar while it is installed on genset. Also the keyway is removable and is in a half moon shape causing it to fall out with the slightest touch as you would attempt to install impellar on shaft. Using a clamp to curl blades and then gently pushed impellar in with keyway perfectly aligned so as not to knock key out of place took a lot of patience.

Topic author
Tomion
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Tomion » February 3rd, 2017, 12:32 am

Unfortunately my pump is in an awkward position to replace impellar while it is installed on genset. Also the keyway is removable and is in a half moon shape causing it to fall out with the slightest touch as you would attempt to install impellar on shaft. Using a clamp to curl blades and then gently pushed impellar in with keyway perfectly aligned so as not to knock key out of place took a lot of patience.

United States of America
ScubaPete
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 406
Cummins 6BTA 330's

Postby ScubaPete » April 27th, 2017, 11:23 pm

Instead of the hose clamp you used,I use several zip ties to bend all the vanes in one direction. As I insert the impeller (lots of dish washing soap to lube) I cut the first zip tie and slide it to the next one, cut, slide again......

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”