Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cummins 370 6TBA raw sea water pump

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
ScubaPete
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 406
Cummins 6BTA 330's

Re: Cummins 370 6TBA raw sea water pump

Postby ScubaPete » May 22nd, 2018, 9:15 pm

Danv35 wrote:Source of the post How difficult is it to change out the port impeller? Cummins 330hp 5.9

That depends on the boat and the access. You can tell by its location, down low on the engine, that it will be hard to get to. I have remote fuel filters, so there are fuel lines routed right behind the raw water pump---those have to be removed before I can even start the impeller replacement chore.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » May 23rd, 2018, 11:22 am

How difficult is it to change out the port impeller? Cummins 330hp 5.9

Its easy if you have four foot arms with three elbows each. :-P I find it easier to remove the pump from the engine and work on it at the dinette.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Canada
dssking
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396

Postby dssking » May 31st, 2021, 8:28 pm

Anyone have a part number for the pump?

United States of America
CaptDenny
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

Postby CaptDenny » August 3rd, 2021, 10:39 pm

The PORT IMPELLER is a bear to get at. Took me an entire afternoon to get the cover off and then to find it was completely in pieces so then had to hunt down the aftercooler and remove to find all the fins. Ultimately I needed to pull off the water pump only to find that the MOTOR MOUNT is in the way and must be removed first. And by removing the motor mount , then the drive shaft must be disconnected to avoid pressure!!
Had interesting time putting all back together BUT ALL GOOD.

My next adventure was spotting PINKISH FLAKES coming out of my starboard exhaust into the water. My mechanic said it was not diesel fuel because just put a new fuel cooler on. And then noticing that the water didn’t really have a fuel type shine in the surface so decided it as the pink transmission oil cooler fluid.
HAPPILY that cooler sits on top of the engine and will be an easy fix!!!!! :worthy:

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”