Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine change out ballast problem

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
glueman90
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Mariner 36' Diesel conversion to Detroit diesel 4-53 140hp

Engine change out ballast problem

Postby glueman90 » August 8th, 2017, 9:13 am

1987 Carver Mariner 36'. In 2008 the engine were replaced with rebuilt twin Detroit's 4-53 140 hp,rebuilt trans and V-drives. New shafts, cutlass bearings and genny. The old owner lost interest and sold it to a guy who know nothing about boats he screwed up a lot of stuff. He only put on 400hrs on the boat moving at 10 mph. The props were way out of pich. There now set as 4 blade 22" X 25 pitch with a med cup. I have spent the last year putting the boat in working order.

My questions is the rebuilt Detroit's are a lot heaver the the gas engines and it sets very heavy to the Stearn. The bow sets pretty high from what it should be. I am guessing about about a 12 to 15" to where the water line should be. When I try to get the boat up on plane the tabs are all the way on for bow down and the bow just keeps on rising and the Stearn just digs a hole.
I am pretty sure I need to add ballast to the bow but I don't know how much to add and do I need to increase the size of the trim tabs?
I am hoping that some of you old salts can help me with this issue.
Thanks
Dave :help:
Palm Coast Fl.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Engine change out ballast problem

Postby bud37 » August 8th, 2017, 10:05 am

Welcome to the forum....I don't know about an old salt...but, IMO you only have 280 HP total, fairly heavy boat ,I don't think there is enough raw power to plane regardless of what you do, ballast would equal more weight. Sounds like the original owner was creating a real low cost trawler like set up.....7 or so knots, trouble is , you have a planing hull and hull speed is somewhere around 7knots so anything past that is pushing water.....you could check with a prop shop and maybe optimize what you now have.Hope this helps, remember just my opinion here........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
nightsky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: '94 Carver 390 cpmy

Postby nightsky » August 8th, 2017, 11:52 am

First off make sure the engines are able to achieve WOT. If not, re pitching props in order. Ballast and larger trim tabs will help. You can try moving weight from stern to bow such as batteries or empty the stern water tank and add water tank or bladder up forward of equivalent size. These can change trim without adding extra weight to a boat that may be already under powered.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 8th, 2017, 11:59 am

All chain rode on the windless will help some for forward ballast. Water tanks are mid-ship on that model I do believe. Not much more you can move that I can see will help. Maybe the hot water tank to the galley?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » August 8th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Does your boat still have the stainless steel exhaust assembly on the outside?
On my boat, with full fuel on the 3 tanks and us sitting in back, about half of the stainless exhaust pieces are under water.
How low does yours sit?
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”