Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

430 Carver Diesel fuel transfer switches

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
ScubaPete
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 406
Cummins 6BTA 330's

Re: 430 Carver Diesel fuel transfer switches

Postby ScubaPete » October 4th, 2017, 11:18 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
With the switches setup this way, it is also possible to transfer fuel from one tank to another while underway? Let's say I have 50 gal in each tank but want to empty the AUX tank... can I put the supply for each engine on AUX and the return for port on PORT and the return for starboard on STARBOARD and effectively move all the fuel out of the AUX tank until it's empty? (well, almost empty of the engines would stall!)

I don't understand why your fuel tank selector switches are set up this way. With a diesel engine, a lot of fuel gets returned to the tank. You would probably quickly drain one tank, and possible overflow another tank if the return doesn't go right back into the same tank. My setup (2002 model) has just two switches, one for each engine. The input fuel line and the return fuel line both change at the same time, so I cannot overfill (and overflow out the vent into the water). I do have a separate fuel transfer pump to move fuel from port to starboard.

Canada
nightsky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: '94 Carver 390 cpmy

Postby nightsky » October 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm

x2, if you haven't already figured it out, in that photo both engines are currently drawing from the auxiliary tank. Turning the handle down the engine will draw from its respective tank.

United States of America
Tracy58
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 444 Cockpit ES

Postby Tracy58 » November 24th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Hi I am new to the forum & to the Carver 44 Cockpit ES.
Does anyone have or can direct me to a checklist or instructions to the correct refueling & correct position of the valves. The owners manual is a bit vague & open to interpretation.

Thank you,
Tracy

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”