Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

430 Carver Diesel fuel transfer switches

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
x2ryder
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 430 cockpit

430 Carver Diesel fuel transfer switches

Postby x2ryder » August 30th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Hello
I am new to the board. I have a 1996 430 Carver cockpit with Cummins Diamond series diesels in it. The boat has 3 fuel tanks. Port Starboard and Auxillary. In the aft closet there are 4 handles for transferring fuel. Currently they are all turn to the starboard side of the boat. The only other way to turn them is pointing up. Can anyone tell what these handles do in when turn in either direction?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
rkrumm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 430

Re: 430 Carver Diesel fuel transfer switches

Postby rkrumm » August 30th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Hi x2ryder,

I have the same boat, year older. With the handles turned to the side, you are currently setup for each engine to draw and return fuel from it's respective tank (ie Port engine-port fuel tank). If you move handles to straight up it will use auxiliary tank. Make sure you always have draw and return the same for each engine. Fuel valves point at metal end, not yellow handle end. Hope that helps.

Randy
Randy
Anacortes, WA
1995 Carver 430

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 30th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Agreed. The panel could have been labeled better to make it easier to read.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 31st, 2017, 4:32 pm

rkrumm wrote:Source of the post
With the handles turned to the side, you are currently setup for each engine to draw and return fuel from it's respective tank (ie Port engine-port fuel tank). If you move handles to straight up it will use auxiliary tank. Make sure you always have draw and return the same for each engine. Fuel valves point at metal end, not yellow handle end. Hope that helps.

Really? Then whomever designed that panel should be slapped into next week!!

If the metal end points to where the valve is set, then they should have added a little indicator under that nut. The LABELS then should have been put so that the indicator pointed DIRECTLY AT THE LABEL. The way it is now I could EASILY see someone lining up the yellow part of the handle with the label based on which selection they need to make.

I would also say that the supply and returns should be ganged so that they both switch, however....

With the switches setup this way, it is also possible to transfer fuel from one tank to another while underway? Let's say I have 50 gal in each tank but want to empty the AUX tank... can I put the supply for each engine on AUX and the return for port on PORT and the return for starboard on STARBOARD and effectively move all the fuel out of the AUX tank until it's empty? (well, almost empty of the engines would stall!)

United States of America
rkrumm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rkrumm » August 31st, 2017, 4:59 pm

Not sure if that would work as I am not sure how much comes back to the tank during operation. It might depend on the RPMs and load. I guess in theory you could. I have a fuel transfer system on my boat for that function. Not sure if it was factory standard installed, a factory option, or aftermarket. Haven't actually used it yet.
Randy
Anacortes, WA
1995 Carver 430

Canada
nightsky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: '94 Carver 390 cpmy

Postby nightsky » September 1st, 2017, 9:56 am

I have the 390 and it was just as confusing for me when I first bought the boat. In fact I thought I was running off tanks I had just topped off on my run bringing the boat home for the first time. Nope I was running off stern tank instead and ran it dry. Took some effort after I realized what I'd done to get the engines going again.

United States of America
rkrumm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rkrumm » September 5th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Had a similar incident nightsky, where I assumed both engines running off respective fuel tanks but both were running off auxiliary tank and ran the tank dry and had both engines stop running. Not a fun day.
Randy
Anacortes, WA
1995 Carver 430

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 5th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Regarding running the wrong tanks dry due to improper fuel selector valve placement. Do you not have fuel gauges for the main and aux tanks? My boat has 4 fuel gauges (2x main, 2x aux) which I thought a little odd but after reading this thread I can see where they would come in handy.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
rkrumm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby rkrumm » September 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Oh I have them, I was just too new to the boat to realize what they were telling me. I just thought I was getting really good mileage on my main tanks on the limited hours we had ran them.
Randy
Anacortes, WA
1995 Carver 430

Canada
nightsky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: '94 Carver 390 cpmy

Postby nightsky » September 6th, 2017, 10:45 am

As for the gauges, mine only has 2, one of the gauges doubles as the gauge for the auxilary or Stern tank . To confuse matters more one of the gauges was not at all and I didn't know if I could trust the one that was working.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”