Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cummins 370 power loss.

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Cummins 370 power loss.

Postby Viper » February 25th, 2018, 12:41 pm

In your case, did you notice smoke out the exhaust?

Topic author
Tomion
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 530

Postby Tomion » March 5th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Well it turns out my intercooler was plugged up. I change my zincs annually and they dont look too bad when I do. They were both replaced by previous owner in 2012!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » March 5th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Great you found the problem. Again something not real serious. Sounds like you may have to descale the engines annually?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 5th, 2018, 7:07 pm

That'll do it. I would have expected you to see some smoke though which you said you didn't have.

Topic author
Tomion
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 530

Postby Tomion » March 10th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Yeah I didnt have any disernable smoke and it would seem both engines would scale at the same rate. This problem has been slowly becoming worse over a year. I am thinking the starboard engine cant be far behind.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 11th, 2018, 12:27 am

Zincs help prevent the metals of your cooling system from disintegrating, but they do nothing to prevent scale build up.
Better get on that starboard cooling system before it becomes an emergency.

:popcorn:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 11th, 2018, 8:27 am

Tomion wrote:Source of the post Yeah I didnt have any disernable smoke and it would seem both engines would scale at the same rate. This problem has been slowly becoming worse over a year. I am thinking the starboard engine cant be far behind.

You on salt water ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » March 11th, 2018, 9:59 am

I recommend a annual raw water side flush. 5 gallon bucket, phosphoric acid/water mix, various hoses, pvc fittings, some hose clamps, and a bilge pump to circulate the solution. This a closed loop flush that recirculates the phosphoric acid/water mix from the bucket > to the engine > back to the bucket. You run it until the foaming in the bucket stops (be sure to remove your zincs first). I do this with the AC units as well.

I have a full write up somewhere but can't find it :approve:

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » March 11th, 2018, 10:12 am

This is the procedure I used: Taken from http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showth ... Exchangers

I would also read through this https://www.sbmar.com/articles/cummins- ... intenance/

You will need:

1. Inexpensive 500gph bilge pump with a 3/4" outlet. 20 feet of 16ga wire and a lighter plug (or suitable means to connect it to ship's 12V power)

2. About 15' of 3/4" hose.

3. A 5 gallon bucket.

4. 1 gallon of Ph-Ospho-RIC (from Home Depot, found in the paint department - about $13) This is phosphoric acid and a detergent.

5. Chemical resistant gloves and safety goggles are highly recommended.

To clean the H/E:

1. Close the seacock going to the H/E you intend to clean.

2. Remove the hose connections to the H/E. If it is a genset or A/C unit, there is a good chance the connection is 3/4" hose. If so, you're in like Flynn. Mains will have a larger hose inlet typically; 2" is popular.

3. If the inlet is up to 1", you can get nylon hose-barb adapters at most hardware stores to adapt 3/4" to up to 1". Buy the ones you need for your specific H/Es once. If the inlet is LARGER (e.g. 2") take one of the hoses to Home Depot or Lowes and come up with the PVC fittings to make up an adapter; 2" hose, for example, uses a 1-1/2" PVC coupler, a 1-1/2 to 3/4" threaded adapter, and a 3/4" hose barb to MIP nylon adapter. Fit up the pieces dry in the store and buy what you need. PVC fittings require PVC cement. Make up the fittings you need to adapt to the hose sizes in question.

4. Connect the output of the bilge pump to the OUTLET of the H/E using the adapter if necessary and half the 3/4" hose. Take the other half and connect it to the INLET, and run the hose back into the bucket. Place the bilge pump in the bucket. THE BUCKET MUST BE ABOVE THE H/E YOU ARE CLEANING TO INSURE THAT ALL AIR WILL BE EXPELLED.

5. IMPORTANT: Remove all zincs from their plugs, and reinstall the BARE PLUGS. DO NOT LEAVE THE ZINCS IN THE HEAT EXCHANGER!

5. Add roughly 2.5 gallons of clean water (half full). Turn on the pump and insure that the pump retains prime while circulating the water.

6. Add approximately 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of the Ph-Ospho-Ric to the bucket.

Allow the acid to circulate through the H/E until the foam and bubbling on the surface of the bucket's liquid STOPS. The amount of time this will require depends on how badly fouled the H/E is; it is not uncommon for this to take an hour or two. Phosphoric acid will "parkerize" steel and iron along with removing all the rust (a good thing!), and will ignore the cupero-nickel used in heat exchanger bundles. It will dissolve the organic, mineral and salt deposits, which is what you want. The solution will turn dark as it works. This is normal.

When the bubbling stops, turn off the pump. Drain the solution back into the source bucket.

Reconnect the original hoses and immediately start the engine or other device, allowing it to run, to flush any remaining residue out of the system.

Make sure to flush the hoses and pump with clean water when you're finished, and reinstall the zincs in the plugs.

You're done.

The solution can be reused several times. When done with it, you can use Baking Soda to neutralize the acid before disposal.

NOTE: Phosphoric acid contains phosphorus, and should NOT be dumped in the water as it is an algae nutrient, even after being neutralized with baking soda.

This procedure has several advantages over the other possibilities:

1. Its quick. I can do both mains, the genset, and the AC system in a day, and during most of that I can be doing other things as its all pump work time. Dismounting H/Es or disassembling bundles is quite a bit more work and in many cases requires draining the freshwater side of the system.

2. It is a LOT safer than the DD-recommended Muriatic/Oxalic acid solution. Muriatic acid is a MAJOR hazard if it spills - especially on you. Phosphoric acid is much less dangerous to handle. In addition, Muriatic acid causes hydrogen embrittlement of metals over time, which Phosphoric acid (mostly) avoids. If you leave the Detroit solution in too long, it will do damage. This is much less likely with the Ph-Oshop-Ric.

3. It works just as well as the DD recommended solution, if not better. You can confirm this with a flashlight - and your temperature gauge - after doing the deed.

Once you've made up the adapters, this is a very quick and easy maintenance procedure to do annually, which will keep you from having overheating problems during the season.

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » March 11th, 2018, 10:22 am

When I removed my aftercoolers the core had to be beaten out with a BFH rendering them useless. I had to replace both cores on my 5.9 370B's

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”