Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 280 overheating

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Barbados
Ricky mason
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 280 -7.3ltr V8 turbo diesel

Carver 280 overheating

Postby Ricky mason » July 15th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Hi guys looking for some help and advice please , I have a carver 280 s , 7.3ltr v8 turbo diesel , I have recently got her back in the water / fresh water river in the uk , and I’ve had a few teething issues , she keeps over heating so I investigated and found that the impeller had ripped apart so I fished out the loose/ broken parts out of the pipe work , installed a new one , got it running to find it overheating again , so I re investigated and found that the new impeller had ripped apart again checked the hoses to find they was dry so it has ripped apart due to running dry and no water circulating the engine ! I have checked the inlet in bottem of boat where the water would be sucked up from and that’s clear with no blockage and the water filter was empty so although the inlets clear it isn’t sucking up water ?!! Help please TIA

Topic author Barbados
Ricky mason
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Carver 280 overheating

Postby Ricky mason » July 15th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Pictures of my vessel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 15th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Welcome aboard Ricky.

I'm assuming the seacock is open and that the intake hoses are in good shape; not collapsed or kinked. Did you lubricate the impeller and housing before installing it into the pump? Are you sure you got ALL the broken impeller pieces out? The best way to tell is to try and fit the pieces together to see if you got them all. Sometimes they get stuck in the pump ports and can tear up a new impeller. You must also back flush the system as there are likely more pieces further down the circuit like an oil cooler or heat exchanger. It doesn't hurt to prime the hoses and pump with water first, and make sure all your hose clamps are tight so she doesn't suck air. Also, ensure that the replacement impeller is actually the correct one per engine serial number.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 15th, 2018, 2:09 pm

That looks like the old impeller. What did the new impeller look like after it failed?

Topic author Barbados
Ricky mason
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ricky mason » July 15th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post That looks like the old impeller. What did the new impeller look like after it failed?

That was the new one , it ran for 45 minutes then over heated and this is what I pulled out , the first time I changed it the impeller was in the same state as the second once taken out !thank you for the reply

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 15th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Interesting. It looks to me like that one is old and brittle, and the core certaily looks like it's seen more than 45 minutes run time. Was this impeller siiting in the boat for years as a spare? If so, or on the shelf in a store/shop, they will get brittle after a while. UV does a number on them.

Topic author Barbados
Ricky mason
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ricky mason » July 15th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard Ricky.

I'm assuming the seacock is open and that the intake hoses are in good shape; not collapsed or kinked. Did you lubricate the impeller and housing before installing it into the pump? Are you sure you got ALL the broken impeller pieces out? The best way to tell is to try and fit the pieces together to see if you got them all. Sometimes they get stuck in the pump ports and can tear up a new impeller. You must also back flush the system as there are likely more pieces further down the circuit like an oil cooler or heat exchanger. It doesn't hurt to prime the hoses and pump with water first, and make sure all your hose clamps are tight so she doesn't suck air. Also, ensure that the replacement impeller is actually the correct one per engine serial number.

Viper wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard Ricky.

Hello Thankyou for your response , yes the sea cock was open , I also removed the hose off of it while closed to check water was actually coming in and it gushed up so that was clear , the hoses all look in good shape and all clamps was tight , I am pretty sure it was all the pieces but due to not back flushing it I suppose I cannot be 100 percent sure ! Yes it was an identical replacement , perhaps I could have been more generous with lubricant too ! The second impeller was definitely more ruined than the first one I took out !
Viper wrote:Source of the post Interesting. It looks to me like that one is old and brittle, and the core certaily looks like it's seen more than 45 minutes run time. Was this impeller siiting in the boat for years as a spare? If so, or on the shelf in a store/shop, they will get brittle after a while. UV does a number on them.
. Yes this was a spare which had been on the boat atleast 3 years bud
Viper wrote:Source of the post Interesting. It looks to me like that one is old and brittle, and the core certaily looks like it's seen more than 45 minutes run time. Was this impeller siiting in the boat for years as a spare? If so, or on the shelf in a store/shop, they will get brittle after a while. UV does a number on them.

I’m very new to this boat as inherited from granddad so any advise is welcome ☺️

Topic author Barbados
Ricky mason
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Ricky mason » July 15th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Yes the replacement was sat on the boat for atleast 3 years so that sounds very likely , if that was the case would it just tare its self apart I assume ? Thankyou

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 15th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Welcome to the forum and Carver.....dont know for sure but that maybe the first Bahamian flag I have noticed, .......anyhow you have got a lot of good advice there from Viper......get a new impeller,lots of lube ( dish soap and some water in this case), if there is a sea strainer between the pump and the thru hull, make sureties full and the top gasket is in place and sealed........after the engine starts, check for water flow at the exhaust if you can....if no flow shut down again....good luck man..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 15th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Ya the rubber isn't as pliable after several years but I would expect it to last longer than 45 minutes after only sitting for three years. It's probably older than that and if you didn't lubricate it when you installed it and it starved for water for a few seconds, that might have contributed to the failure. Always good to get impellers from a source that sells a lot of them or there's no telling how long they've been on their shelf. Between the retailer, distributor, and sitting in the boat for a few years, you can be installing an impeller that's over 5 years old.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”