Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacing Thermostat on 330 6BTA

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
VolNavy91
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 400 CMY
1st Date
Paris Landing, TN

Replacing Thermostat on 330 6BTA

Postby VolNavy91 » July 31st, 2018, 10:52 am

Still learning the ins and outs of diesel maintenance on my 400. Question, I think the process to replace the thermostat on my starboard engine (its getting stubborn about opening, runs up to 200F before opening sometimes) is pretty straight forward. My question is this - how much coolant do I need to drain off before I start? I saw a great step by step illustrated example on another site of the process but it didn't even mention draining coolant. Look forward to hearing your advise.

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Re: Replacing Thermostat on 330 6BTA

Postby PJHoffnet » August 5th, 2018, 2:36 pm

I'd highly recommend https://www.sbmar.com/ for info on your Cummins. We're a little over a year into our 'new to us' boat (like you with 6BTA 330's) and the Seaboard Marine site has been a fantastic resource. The Forums have very knowledgeable and friendly people, and the 'Tony's Tips' knowledge base section has taught me soooooo much.

As a quick answer to your question - check out this link from Tony's Tips https://www.sbmar.com/articles/changing ... hermostat/

Topic author United States of America
VolNavy91
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 400 CMY
1st Date
Paris Landing, TN

Postby VolNavy91 » August 6th, 2018, 11:12 am

Yes I did ask a question there an they quickly answered. Thanks for the tip.

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby PJHoffnet » August 7th, 2018, 12:49 am

Good deal ... glad they could help.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”