Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Diesel Winterization

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Diesel Winterization

Postby Midnightsun » September 13th, 2018, 7:02 am

Sorry for the ugly word winterization but it is on the doorstep whether we like it or not. Diesel is relatively new to me since all my previous boats were gas. Question is, should one add some type of treatment for the layup period such as stabilizer for gas? I do make sure I have run through both main and aux tanks during the summer so I know the diesel is relatively fresh for the layup period. I do tend to fill up rather full to eliminate as much condensation as possible.

Found this which kinda says additives sometimes work depending on the diesel fuel manufacturer (like we know where it comes from or the formulation :banghead: ) which tells me either it is doing a good thing or pouring money into the tank when choosing to add something.

https://www.fueltechnologiesinternation ... -fuel.html

Also I do see "Stabil" does sell a diesel version.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036CJ15O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: Diesel Winterization

Postby AaHubb » September 13th, 2018, 10:45 am

I believe the biggest concern with diesel is algae growth in the tanks. The local marine diesel supplier puts an algicide in the mix for fall/winter.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 13th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Was wondering who was going to say that word first ;-)
I get a different answer too depending on who I talk to. There are some pretty amazing claims out there that one should take with a grain of salt though. Considering the cost versus piece of mind, and I'm just talking only about stabilizing the fuel for 6 months, I err on the side of caution and add a stabilizer at winterizing time and nothing else. If there is a fuel condition issue during the season, that gets dealt with separately at that time as there are many variables involved. There are stabilizers with biocides but you really don't have to worry about that in our climate over the winter layup. Get a good brand of stabilizer without a bunch of bells and whistles and put the concern to bed IMO.

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Postby Makin Waves » September 13th, 2018, 2:48 pm

I put 1 gallon of Stanadyne Fuel conditioner in each tank, use it for all my diesel equipment as well, great product

United States of America
rcoff512
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 450
Home Port, Long Island NY USA

Postby rcoff512 » September 14th, 2018, 8:45 am

Midnightsun,

I was Chief of NYC Department of Sanitation facilities and equipment until 2006. We used a stabilizer called Pri-D in our standby generators and fleet servicing fuel tanks with success. I use it now in my 1999 450 Voyager for my 6 month winter layup in water on Long Island and each time I fuel up in summer. It stabilizes the asphaltenes in the fuel which become the sludge in the tanks and filters. Knock on wood, no fuel issues.

link attached.

http://priproducts.com/wp-content/uploa ... /PRI-D.pdf

https://www.go2marine.com/product/95605 ... lizer.html

I don't buy it from go2 but they have a pretty good product description with list of small quantity bottles.

Rich

United States of America
jspin101
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 41 CMY w/ 2006 Volvo D6 370I-B's

Postby jspin101 » November 4th, 2018, 5:14 pm

I was told from a local Volvo dealer about Algae-X AFC 705 Fuel Catalyst. This is my first diesel so huge learning curve for me. I used to use stable and startron for my gas engines.
I put some Algae-X in before layup (another ugly word) so won't be able to update till the spring.
I have been getting some brown/tan goop in the primary Racor filter that I'm trying to figure out, hopefully this helps.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 5th, 2018, 4:19 am

Take a sample of the goop to a diesel supplier tech. Brown/Tan coloring to me would indicate moisture in the fuel. One has to remember that diesel tanks are warm after a run from the extra fuel returned to the tanks. Diesel tanks should be filled when warm, after a run. This will help lessen the condensation from the warm fuel in the tanks forming in the air space of the tanks. There may be a good product out there as an additive that may clean up your goop. Is the fuel you are buying clear or dyed? If dyed, most likely a red dye, but I have seen green dye to. Your colored goop may be from the mixing of different dyed fuels? Thus pulling a sample and have it analyzed.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 5th, 2018, 4:30 am

Speaking of dye. When I fill up on the US side it is red, on the Canadian side it is colorless. All fills are at marinas.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 5th, 2018, 5:44 am

In the US, the dyed fuel is just an indicator that it's untaxed fuel. Clear fuel in the US is taxed and used in vehicles. If they catch you with dyed fuel in a vehicle there are fines!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 5th, 2018, 8:29 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post In the US, the dyed fuel is just an indicator that it's untaxed fuel. Clear fuel in the US is taxed and used in vehicles. If they catch you with dyed fuel in a vehicle there are fines!

Thats interesting, wonder why the marinas get to sell untaxed fuel, on a related note, seems I remember farm fuel being dyed up here was well.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”