Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Merc Smartcraft Gateway

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Merc Smartcraft Gateway

Postby Sadey » January 29th, 2019, 6:36 pm

We have a 2003 356 with 8.1s eligible for the Merc gateway. Currently have smartcraft gauges but have a pair of Raymarine ES128 that I would rather have engine data displayed on instead. Has anybody here done the install on one of these?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Merc Smartcraft Gateway

Postby pepmyster » January 29th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Same position as you, 2004 VP 8.1 x 2. Need a gateway to run it be nema 2000. Believe me, I'm following this post for sure. I understand the logic about the nema 2000 , but, still very new to me. Must act like Can communication in the car's system.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 30th, 2019, 4:52 am

I did this on mine however I needed to use the Volvo to Raymarine gateway. You need Smartcraft to NMEA 2000. In my application I found out I needed a gateway for each engine which doubled the price plus the hook up cables/connectors/adapters get spendy real quick. Once you know what you need to hook it all up, go the ebay and see what is there. Everything I bought to convert came to half price compared to list price. This is what I used but you need to check compatibility with your model chart plotter. http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=8507

In the case of Volvo you need the electronic brain so to say which computes and sends the info equivalent to Smartcraft called EVC otherwise this conversion is not possible just like having an older Mercruiser without Smartcraft. Bottom line is you must have factory installed Smartcraft or EVC to make this happen.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » January 30th, 2019, 7:43 am

According to Merc I’ll only need one so fingers crossed. I’m not at the boat but wondered where the connection is for the gateway, at the motors or on the bridge? It would appear the gateway has a NMEA 2000 out. According to Raymarine using one of there NMEA 2000 to Seatalk NG will plug into my backbone or 5 way block.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 30th, 2019, 8:06 am

Great news that you only require one on a Merc twin engine setup with Smartcraft. Great news in the sense that it will cost half as much that is. ;-)

If you have anything Smartcraft on your gauges at the bridge then it is already at the bridge which makes life so much easier. If nothing is at the Bridge you obviously need to look at wiring from engine up to bridge.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » January 30th, 2019, 9:53 am

Sweet! I have the digital Smartcraft gauges at the helm. Can’t wait to get to the boat to check it out. -24F here today so I’ll wait till it warms up a bit. I’m in heated but don’t feel like driving out there.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » March 2nd, 2019, 11:59 am

Folks, hoping to get some more info on connecting my 2002 Merc 8.1’s to my Garmin 942

Previous owner ran smartcraft cabling from engine to helm that had connect to a Navman which is no longer in place. To the best of my knowledge, I don’t believe I have a N2K backbone on the boat that I have found and curious if anyone has been down this road and what I might need?

What are people’s experience in getting help from Mercury?
[image][Image/image]

[image][Image/image]

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 2nd, 2019, 1:41 pm

Lots confusing at best but here is what Garmin says, you may have come across this.....

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=k ... CyoDZIThd7
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » March 2nd, 2019, 2:21 pm

I've talked to Marc a number of times and their customer service/tech help is excellent! Is you smart craft cable connected to anything on the bridge?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » March 2nd, 2019, 4:43 pm

[quote="Sadey"]Source of the post I've talked to Marc a number of times and their customer service/tech help is excellent! Is you smart craft cable connected to anything on the bridge?

Thanks Sadey and Bud37. Currently not connected to anything, It used to be connected to a Navman unit that ‘two owners go’ took with them and the cabling has been sitting idle ever since. I’ll try sending pictures to Garmin and see how far I get.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”